Forum

A few thoughts from today's presser...  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
Prominent Member Admin
September 11, 2017 1:37 pm  

It was pretty much as I expected, and as I predicted.

The main takeaway for me after this was that the staff believes Joe Burrow and Dwayne Haskins are very far behind J.T. Barrett in terms of everything a quarterback has to do.

I wonder, though, if they could simplify things as they did for Barrett in 2014, and have a better arm come in and they'd let everyone else pick up any slack that was missing. The answer doesn't matter, however, because we know it's not happening.

Meyer said Barrett is the best player, so I asked him what happens when the results that you see in practice aren't what you see in games, and how do you resolve it. He then said he sees where I'm going and begins to answer by talking about how it's usually a youth problem. Then he turned my question into an opportunity to assure people that the freshman kicker will get better at kickoffs. That was a bad game for him against Oklahoma, but he'll get better. He then said with younger players, they will grow, but if it happens with older players you have to move on.

I know what you're thinking, why doesn't that include Barrett? Because he must simply be the best overall option, which creates more questions than it solves.

The height of confidence is standing up in a hammock.

ReplyQuote
Tony Gerdeman
Prominent Member Admin
September 11, 2017 2:06 pm  

I also wonder if there is a concern about what happens if a backup comes in and does well...or even not bad. Meyer saw what happened in 2015 when a starter would go three and out. The boos come in. JT tries to be something he's not. More boos happen. I think he wants to right the ship with JT, obviously. There can't be a back and forth, he knows that. Once that band-aid gets ripped, that's it. You can't put it back on. Well, you can, you just better know that Barrett is going to get his ass booed for any incompletion or three and out or interception.

The height of confidence is standing up in a hammock.

ReplyQuote
SFBuckeye
September 11, 2017 2:41 pm  

For some reason, people think being a QB is only throwing accurate passes. Meyer mentioned the other areas where he is ahead of Haskins and Burrow. IMO, it is much more a team issue than a Barrett issue, especially coaching. There were a couple drops, McClaurin being the glaring one. Also, the play calling has been atrocious. There is no rhythm and no originality. It is unfair to the WRs and Barrett. Many of the passes Mayfield made were not perfect dimes in tight coverage. That read option play action pass to the TE and FB were beautiful and resulted in their players being wide open. Like you have said, a college team's bad offense is by choice. Oklahoma designed great plays and made great calls to put their players in a good position to be open.

I will say, he has not shined by any means. Accuracy is obviously an issue. But what is this sliding crap? He certainly isn't saving himself for the NFL. One of his strongest assets is his bulldozing like running that seemed to always garner a few extra yards. And he has become LESS decisive and unsure of himself throwing, which has caused him to hold the ball way too long or throw it out of bounds. What happened to all this "throw the WR open stuff" he said Day has taught him?

It's going to be hard to hear the boos rain down on Barrett when they will not necessarily be entirely his fault. Meyer and Co. have seen 99% more of the QBs and the team than we have, maybe 90% more than what you have seen, Mr. privileged beat writer who gets to see practices and press box views. Could the 2nd string QB produce better results? Sure. But how often does that really happen?

My 2 cents based on priority:

1. Fix the plays/play calling.

2. Tell Barrett to run the ball like the man he used to be. (sorry. Kinda harsh there)

3. Run the friggin' RBs, even into 8 man fronts. It doesn't take a savant to see the correlation between the losses and number of RB carries in the games.

Thanks for all the great insight as usual, Gerd!

ReplyQuote
Potsys Pimps
Estimable Member
September 13, 2017 9:48 am  

SF Buckeye, I agree.  The play calling is easily the biggest problem with the offense.  When you have running backs getting huge chunks of yardage but yet don't give them the ball something is wrong.  JT isn't a pocket passer and never was.  They are trying to force him to be a pro style passer when they need to go back to previous years when they used the run to set up play action and option passing.  

"Find the best player on the field and outwork him"

SFBuckeye liked
ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register