Two Minute Drill - Breaking Down the Depth Chart
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — One day after we released our projected post-camp depth charts, Ohio State put out its official two-deep for the season-opener against Akron. (link)
There were bound to be some differences, so let’s start with the quarterback position.
Quarterback Battle Continues into the Season
- Luke Fickell said they would probably use too quarterbacks to start the year and that was confirmed by Monday’s depth chart.
- Senior Joe Bauserman is listed as the top QB, but he has an OR next to his name and both he and Braxton Miller are bolded as the starters.
- That OR is one of only two on the entire depth chart.
Offensive Line Better Stay Healthy
- The offensive line depth was bound to take a hit once they removed left tackle Mike Adams (suspended), but few would have expected walk-on Eric Kramer to be listed as the backup left tackle to start the season.
- Corey Linsley’s suspension was also confirmed by his conspicuous absence from the two-deep.
- Preferred walk-on Ivon Blackman, a transfer from Robert Morris, took Linsley’s spot in the two-deep as the backup to Marcus Hall at right guard.
- Without Adams and Linsley, all five backups on the offensive line are either true freshmen (3) or walk-ons (2).
Other Offensive Notes
- Tailback Jaamal Berry was left off the two-deep, both at tailback and kick return, after battling a hamstring injury during much of fall camp. His status is very much in question for the opener.
- Junior Jordan Hall is listed as the No. 1 tailback followed by Carlos Hyde OR Rod Smith.
- Freshman Evan Spencer made the two-deep at WR but not Devin Smith.
- Smith was hot at the start of camp, but Spencer came on strong down the stretch and outplayed him second half of camp.
- Chris Fields is listed as the other backup, but he will play mostly in the slot.
- It looks like redshirt freshman Bradley Roby officially won the battle with Dominic Clarke for the other corner spot.
- Clarke is now listed as the backup to Travis Howard, while Roby is listed ahead of freshman Doran Grant.
- Senior walk-on Chris Maxwell made the two-deep at LB but not freshman Curtis Grant.
- Maxwell is listed at the Sam LB spot and Grant is a Mike LB, but senior walk-on Tony Jackson is listed as the backup to Storm Klein at Mike LB.
- Freshman LB Ryan Shazier and DL Michael Bennett also cracked the first-two deep. So did senior Evan Blankenship, who is the backup nose tackle.
- Christian Bryant is the backup to Orhian Johnson at safety and Tyler Moeller at Star.
- Redshirt sophomore George Makridis is officially listed as a the 1st team long-snapper.
- Freshman Bryce Haynes listed as the backup.
- It looks like Chris Fields will take Jaamal Berry's spot on the kick return alongside Jordan Hall in week one if Berry isn’t ready to go.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.