Two-Minute Drill: Fickell Turns Attention to Colorado
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — It wasn’t an easy 60 hours, but Luke Fickell seemed ready to move on from Ohio State’s demoralizing loss at Miami (Fla.) over the weekend.
The Buckeyes are back in Columbus this week for a matchup with Colorado (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC), but they have a quarterback situation to straighten out.
Fickell talked about that and more on Tuesday during his weekly press luncheon.
- Fickell said they don't know what the plan is yet at QB. They're going to have them compete before they make complete judgment.
- Fickell sounded like they have a plan, but it isn’t finalized: "We know what we think, but we're going to continue to see them battle."
- Fickell said Kenny Guiton and Taylor Graham will likely get more reps in practice this week.
- Fickell said he doesn’t have a lack of belief in what Joe Bauserman can do “at times,” but they have to put him in the right position.
- FB Zach Boren said he is confident that Braxton Miller could be the starting QB for this team, but also has confidence in Joe Bauserman.
- Fickell said ball security is always something you worry about with a young QB.
- Fickell said it's hard to practice that because you don't do a lot of live hitting on the QB in practice.
- Fickell said he never thinks of it as beneficial for a young player not to play early in his career. “You gotta get out there and do it.”
- Fickell said they were going to call a timeout after Miami converted a 3rd down but Miami actually called a timeout.
- Fickell said looking back they might have wanted to call a timeout rather than letting Miami run it down before taking theirs.
- Fickell said they needed two scores and felt they needed to save their timeouts to stop the clock if they were going to score twice.
- Fickell said the only timeout he regrets not using was the one right before Miami's fourth down. The plan was to save at least 2 for offense because they needed two scores.
- Fickell put a lot of emphasis on the dropped balls by the WRs. He said it doesn't help to get the ball rolling.
- Fickell didn’t know the status of WR Philly Brown yet this week, and won't have a good feeling until Wed. or Thurs.
- Backup FB Adam Homan had surgery Monday and there is no timetable for his return. Redshirt freshman David Durham is now the backup to Boren at FB.
- Fickell mentioned getting the best 11 players on the field on both sides of the ball.
- LB Andrew Sweat (knee) was banged up against Miami, but Fickell expects him to fight through it and be out there against Colorado.
- John Simon said the Buckeyes missed 27 tackles against Miami....a good game is in the single digits.
- Fickell said they need to do a better job rotating guys at LB and DB. Felt like some of the starters on the back end were tired against Miami.
- The Miami game was Simon’s first game playing a lot of Leo with Nathan Williams out. He had to practice dropping.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.