Two-Minute Drill: Thursday Fickell Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — It is late in the week, so naturally there was a new suspension to announce during Luke Fickell’s Thursday press conference.
Here is a two-minute rundown of what Fickell had to say on Thursday as the Buckeyes prepare to travel to Illinois this weekend to face the undefeated Fighting Illini.
- Redshirt soph. Dominic Clarke will not travel to Illinois. OSU’s No. 3 corner suspended for University rules incident.
- Fickell said it was his decision not to take Clarke on the trip to Illinois. Said he is very remorseful.
- Freshman Doran Grant now the new No. 3 corner. Redshirt soph. Corey “Pittsburgh” Brown moves from safety to corner for this week.
- Fickell said QB Braxton Miller has done a great job this week. He's moving around, hasn't allowed the injury to affect him physically or emotionally.
- Both backup QBs have gotten some reps this week. Kenny Guiton has gotten a lot more reps this week than in the past.
- Fickell said RB Boom Herron has been all over this week, working with the offense and the scout team.
- All three tailbacks (Herron, Hall and Hyde) will play this week. Fickell said who plays when could be decided by situation or type of play being run.
- Fickell admitted they probably should have ridden Carlos Hyde more in the 4th quarter.
- Fickell said he has been impressed with the way Hyde has learned to run with his size. He's a quick guy for his size and would just run past people in high school. Now he's learning to run through contact and drive his legs.
- Fickell said Mike Adams was more prepared to play right out of the gates because he was facing Johnathan Hankins and John Simon every day on scout team.
- Fickell said he isn't sure if DE Nathan Williams will seek a redshirt after undergoing a second knee surgery.
- Fickell said freshman Michael Bennett is earning more and more playing time. Going to be a special player.
- Fickell said a lot of defensive mistakes in 4th quarter come down to fundamentals. Guys have to make sure tackles, wrap-up and allow other defenders to finish the play.
- Fickell admitted that being a head coach does take some getting used to.
- Fickell said playing at Illinois is a fun place. Know there's going to be some type of weather involved.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.