Game Notes from Ohio State’s 34-20 win Over Indiana
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — It wasn’t pretty, but a win is a win. After starting the year 3-3, the Buckeyes are now 6-3, having won their last three games against Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana.
Saturday’s 34-20 win over the Hoosiers marked Ohio State’s 16th straight victory in the series. Here is a look at the notes from week 10 for the Buckeyes, who travel to West Lafayette next week to face Purdue.
• Ohio State is 15-1 in November games since the start of the 2005 season and is 288-132-19 all-time in November.
• Ohio State leads the all-time series with Indiana, 67-12-5, including 16 straight since 1988.
• Zach Boren, Tyler Moeller, Mike Adams and Andrew Sweat served as game captains.
• Ohio State rushed for a season-high 346 yards as a team, the most since rushing for 314 vs. Penn State Nov. 13, 2010.
• The game marked the sixth time this season Ohio State rushed for at least 200 yards.
• The last time Ohio State rushed for four touchdowns in a game was against Eastern Michigan Sept. 25, 2010.
• The Buckeye defense held Indiana to 159 rushing yards. The Hoosiers came into the game with a three-game streak with at least 200 rushing yards.
• With his two field goals, Drew Basil has connected on 12-consecutive field goal attempts.
• Three Buckeyes had 100-yard games, led by Dan “Boom” Herron with 141. Both Braxton Miller and Carlos Hyde set career highs with 105 yards rushing each.
• The game marked the first time Ohio State had three 100-yard rushers since Nov. 4, 1989 at Northwestern (Dante Lee 157, Scottie Graham 102, Carlos Snow 100).
• It was the fourth game for Ohio State with three 100-yard rushers. The first was in 1956 against Indiana (Galen Cisco 160, James Roseboro 157, Donald Clark 112) and the second was in 1970 vs. Duke (Leophus Hayden 1965, John Brockington 117, Rex Kern 113).
• Braxton Miller’s 81-yard touchdown run in the first quarter was the longest play from scrimmage for the Buckeyes this year and longest run of Miller’s career.
• The run was the longest by an Ohio State quarterback and the sixth-longest rush in school history. The previous long by a quarterback was a 76-yard run by Rex Kern in 1970.
• Miller’s two rushing touchdowns tied a career high first set last week vs. Wisconsin.
• Dan “Boom” Herron’s 141-yard rushing game marked the sixth 100-plus yard performance of his career.
• He crossed the 2,500-yard rushing mark and now has 2,609 as a Buckeye. He is the 13th Buckeye with at least 2,500 yards.
• Ohio State is 22-3 in 25 games in which Herron has scored a rushing touchdown.
• Junior defensive end John Simon led the team with a career-high 10 tackles against Indiana. He now has 39 stops this season.
• Simon claimed his team-high sixth sack of the season in the first half on an eight-yard tackle for loss on Hoosier freshman quarterback Tre Roberson.
• Simon has claimed at least two tackles-for-loss in the last four games for the Buckeyes after posting three against Indiana Saturday. He leads the team with 12.5 total tackles for loss
• Senior linebacker Andrew Sweat added to his team-leading tackle total with nine vs. the Hoosiers. He now has 66 this year.
• Junior nose tackle Garrett Goebel posted a career-high seven tackles against the Hoosiers. He also had a pass breakup.
• Nineteen players recorded tackles against the Cream and Crimson.
Postgame Two Minute Drill
10 Things We Learned
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.