Two-Minute Drill: Coordinators Preview Michigan State
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Both of Ohio State’s coordinators met with the media Wednesday after practice to discuss the Buckeyes’ upcoming game against Michigan State.
Defensive Coordinator Jim Heacock and Offensive Coordinator Jim Bollman had some updates on a number of critical players and situations for the Buckeyes heading into the Big Ten opener against the Spartans.
- Bollman said WR Philly Brown is “getting closer” but hasn't done much work with them. Said he couldn’t say for sure yet.
- Heacock said he doesn’t expect DE Nathan Williams to be ready to play this week.
- Heacock did say he hasn't been alerted to anything that would make him think Williams will be out long term.
- Andrew Sweat and Johnathan Hankins were battling some minor bumps and bruises last week. Hankins didn’t play as many snaps as he had the two previous games.
- Bollman said Braxton Miller's first start helped him get some of the edge off. Things are more comfortable for him this week.
- Bollman said Braxton needs to be conservative with some of his thinking. Said not turning the ball over is the most important thing for Braxton.
- Bollman said he is sure teams noticed Jake Stoneburner’s 3 TD game in the opener. Stoneburner not a forgotten man by the offense or opposing defense.
- Bollman said Joe Bauserman is still a major factor in the offense and Kenny Guiton is doing a good job too.
- Bollman wasn’t sure if Devin Smith would start Saturday, but said that he will definitely play a lot again.
- Corey Linsley will continue to play more and more at guard. Gives them depth and allows them to move Marcus Hall around to some other positions.
- Jim Heacock said the Buckeyes missed 11 or 12 tackles against Colorado, but the difference was they were swarming to the ball.
- Heacock liked what he saw Saturday, but said the defense has “a ways to go” to be as good as they want to be and as good as they've been in the past.
- Heacock said they got a lot of good things out of Miami game. He's been a part of teams where they wouldn't respond well to giving up 14 early points.
- Heacock said he's ok with the tough start to Big Ten play because it's time to be tested.
- Heacock had good things to say about LB Ryan Shazier and DE Steve Miller. Said both will play more this week.
- They could use Shazier alongside Sweat more this week in nickel situations.
- Christian Bryant allows them to do more man coverage stuff on defense.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.