Two-Minute Drill: Fickell’s Weekly Press Luncheon
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — It’s officially Michigan Week in Columbus, which means everyone is a little bit tighter around the Ohio State facilities with a trip to Ann Arbor coming this Saturday.
Ohio State Head Coach Luke Fickell, his coordinators and a select group of players met with the media Monday to talk about The Game.
- Fickell called Sweat QUESTIONABLE for the Michigan game.
- Fickell said they don't know yet on LB Andrew Sweat. Doesn't matter what game it is when it's a head injury. If it was a bad knee or ankle, Sweat would be out there. Going to leave it to the doctors.
- Jim Heacock said they miss Andrew Sweat a lot because of his leadership.
- Heacock said they were already talking about playing Sweat and Shazier together before Sweat's head injury.
- Heacock said Sweat will NOT be a game time decision. Said they should know one way or another early in the week.
- Heacock said to his knowledge this is Sweat's first concussion.
- Fickell said DB Christian Bryant and WR Corey "Philly" Brown are QUESTIONABLE for the Michigan game.
- Heacock said that he believes Nathan Williams is going to try to come back next season, but hasn’t heard definitively yet.
- Fickell said he won't mention the record or bowl game to the players this week. "It's about Michigan."
- Fickell said the team had the OSU Marching Band come out and perform during their Sunday night practice.
- Fickell does not see Ohio State as an underdog. "We think we have a great football team."
- Fickell said there is no more pressure than to win a Michigan game, whether you've won 7 in a row or lost 6.
- Fickell said the Michigan game is "what you're measured on."
- Fickell said that a foundation has been set for this week and this game by coach Jim Tressel.
- Fickell said he will tell Braxton that they don't need him to be superhuman, "just be who you've been."
- Fickell said he can remember Troy Smith's performance in '06, "but it's not like that was unexpected."
- Jim Bollman said Michigan’s defense is bigger, stronger, older and more experienced.
- Bollman insisted they have not forgotten about TE Jake Stoneburner.
- Bollman said WR DeVier Posey adds a big level of confidence to the offense.
- Bollman said he occasionally speaks to Jim Tressel, usually about a mutual friend.
- Fickell said Denard Robinson poses a lot of problems...has ability to keep plays alive by running the football.
- Heacock said Brady Hoke was trying to implement more 2-back stuff early in the year, but they're almost back to what they did last year.
- Heacock said a lot of plays were very, very good and a lot of plays were very, very bad. Been that way throughout the year.
- Heacock said Ryan Shazier has great explosion. Doubts there have been a lot of LBs here who have been quicker.
- Heacock said you really need 7 playmakers on defense...they've identified one in Ryan Shazier. Said he's going to be special.
- Heacock said he would love to have 8-9 seniors out there like they did last year. Can be more complex with them.
- Heacock said that John Simon is the hardest worker he has coached in his 40 years.
- Heacock said he thinks Curtis Grant would make a great rush end, but they aren't ready to push him in that direction.
- Heacock said Michael Bennett is going to be a really good player.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.