Two-Minute Drill: Fickell’s Tuesday Presser
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State Head Coach Luke Fickell met with the media Tuesday in the wake of Saturday’s disastrous home loss to Michigan State.
It doesn’t get any easier for Buckeyes this week as they travel to Lincoln for their first ever conference meeting with Nebraska.
Here is a two-minute rundown of what Fickell had to say Tuesday during his press luncheon.
- Fickell confirmed that Braxton Miller is still the starting QB for the Buckeyes.
- Fickell doesn’t plan to have a quick hook with Miller this week because he didn’t want him looking over his shoulder.
- The Buckeyes still plan to use both quarterbacks this week.
- WR Verlon Reed tore his ACL on Ohio State’s onside kick attempt in the fourth quarter and will miss the rest of the season.
- DE Nathan Williams is considered DOUBTFUL for this week’s game at Nebraska.
- The Buckeyes are expecting WR Philly Brown back from his ankle injury this week.
- DE Solomon Thomas is still recovering from off-season surgery on broken leg he suffered in the spring game. Should be available this week.
- Fickell wouldn’t get into hypothetical situations when asked if he thought Boom Herron could play Saturday. Herron’s attorney still working to clear him.
- Fickell has no plans to kick Herron or DeVier Posey off the team following their latest suspensions.
- “Those guys are a part of who we are right now; they’re a part of what we do.”
- Fickell said latest suspensions not easy on the team, but quoted former UCLA coach John Wooden to them: “No whining, complaining or excuses.”
- Fickell expects Nebraska to bring a lot of pressure on Braxton Miller Saturday.
- Fickell says it’s tougher to run screens with a running QB. The defense is has a guy watching the QB and mirroring whatever he does.
- Fickell said that whatever they lack offensively, they will make up for with effort and toughness.
- Fickell said the o-line should have a renewed confidence this week with the return of left tackle Mike Adams.
- Fickell said if he was upset with Jim Bollman and his staff, he wouldn’t come in and talk about it on Tuesday.
- Fickell said no one is satisfied with where they are and that they know they need to be more balanced.
- Fickell hopes Solomon Thomas can get in there in the defensive line rotation this week.
- Fickell said Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez presents a lot of challenges. They have to contain him because he is tough to stop once he gets moving.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.