Two-Minute Drill: Assistants Provide Post-Practice Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes will play in Ohio Stadium for the final time this season as they host Penn State on Senior Day Saturday.
There will be a lot of emotion in the stadium, which include a display of sportsmanship before kickoff. Both teams will shake hands at midfield prior to the coin toss.
Ohio State safeties coach Paul Haynes and tight ends coach John Peterson met with the media after practice Wednesday to talk about that and more.
• Haynes said defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins will be ready to play Saturday against Penn State. Haynes wouldn’t provide more details but said he would be ready.
• Haynes said Hankins means a lot to the defense. It effects everything when you have two guys dominating up front like Hankins and Simon.
• LB Andrew Sweat won't play against Penn State. Freshman LB Ryan Shazier will start in his place. Haynes said Shazier needs to add some bulk but he is a playmaker.
• Peterson said right tackle J.B. Shugarts has practiced all week but stopped short of saying he will play Saturday against Penn State.
• Haynes said the miscommunication on 3rd-and-12 in overtime at Purdue was pre-snap.
• Haynes said it's discouraging to hear about those type of miscommunications at this point in the season, especially because they preach about it all the time.
• Haynes said being young is no longer an excuse. These guys are talented enough and smart enough right now. Said they don't have time to make those mistakes. The time to play is now and they have to be ready.
• Haynes said guys are staring at the QB when he scrambles instead of sticking to their assignments.
• Haynes said he doesn't allow himself to think about the future and what guys like Bryant and Barnett might look like.
• Haynes said DeVier Posey's return should force teams to back safeties out of the box.
• Haynes said it wasn't hard to motivate the team after the loss at Purdue. Said playing Penn State is motivation enough.
• Haynes said Penn State’s WR’s are big and fast. Said getting Derek Moye isn’t that big because their other guys are talented too.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.