Game Notes: OSU Narrowly Escapes Toledo
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes had not allowed a point to the University of Toledo in two previous tries, but things change.
One thing that nearly changed Saturday was Ohio State’s 90-year undefeated streak against in-state opponents.
The Rockets came into Ohio Stadium fired up and held the lead in the third quarter before Carlos Hyde’s 2-yard touchdown run put Buckeyes on top 27-22 for good.
Ohio State has not lost to an Ohio opponent since 1921, falling to Oberlin 7-6.
Ohio State Game Notes
- Ohio State is 54-5 at Ohio Stadium since the start of the 2002 season.
- Ohio State is 3-0 all-time against Toledo.
- Ohio State has won 56-consecutive regular-season non-conference home games against teams not ranked in the AP Top 25.
- Ohio State outgained Toledo 80-15 on the ground in the first half.
- The game was the 21st-consecutive outing Ohio State rushed for 100-plus yards. The last time the Buckeyes did not rush for 100 yards was Oct. 17, 2009 at Purdue.
- Ohio State held Toledo to 3-of-16 on third down conversions.
- Luke Fickell became the 13th of 24 Ohio State head coaches to start his career 2-0.
Ohio State Player Notes
- Joe Bauserman’s 16 completions and 30 attempts both were career highs.
- Bauserman set a career high with 189 passing yards.
- Carlos Hyde’s 36-yard touchdown run in the second quarter was the first of his career.
- The run also marked the longest run of Hyde’s career and tied for the longest play from scrimmage for the Buckeyes this season.
- Jake Stoneburner’s 26-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter tied him with Billy Anders (1965-67) for seventh on the Ohio State career list for receiving touchdowns by a tight end.
- Devin Smith’s 36-yard reception in the third quarter was the longest of his career and tied for the longest play from scrimmage for the Buckeyes this season.
- Storm Klein recorded the second interception of his career (10/23/10 vs. Purdue).
- Orhian Johnson led the defense with a career-high nine tackles while Sabino had eight, including three for loss.
- Johnson (9), Etienne Sabino (8) Bradley Roby (6) and C.J. Barnett (5) each set career highs in tackles.
- Sabino also set a career high with three tackles for loss.
- Redshirt sophomore Chris Fields returned a punt 69 yards for a touchdown late in the second quarter – the first punt returned for a TD by a Buckeye since Ray Small in 2008 against Ohio University (also 69 yards). It also marked the first TD of Fields’ career.
- Punter Ben Buchanan set a career high by pinning Toledo inside its 20-yard line three times.
Box Score and Game Stats
Two-Minute Drill: Beyond the Win over Toledo
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.