Two-Minute Drill: Inside Ohio State’s Postgame
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — It was a wild scene inside Ohio Stadium Saturday night.
The Buckeyes knocked off Wisconsin 33-29 on a 40-yard heave from Braxton Miller to Devin Smith in the final minute.
We go inside Ohio State’s postgame locker room for a look at what the players and coaches had to say after the big victory.
Braxton Miller to Devin Smith
- The last thing the Buckeyes worked on Thursday in practice was two-minute drill, specifically long pass plays/ Hail Mary's.
- Fickell said he had tremendous confidence in Braxton. Said the rookie QB winked at him before the game-winning drive.
- Braxton said he told Fickell, "don't worry coach, we've got this" before his game-winning TD pass.
- Devin Smith said he ran a regular crossing route and everyone keyed on Braxton, left him wide open.
- Smith said the ball hung up there forever. He was begging for it to get to him before the defenders did. Called it the biggest play of his life.
- Braxton said he was 50/50 whether he was going to run or pass just before he threw the ball to Smith.
- Braxton said he knew he was close to the line, was hoping he wasn't over. Kept asking the coaches if they thought he was over the line.
- Devin Smith said Braxton could not have made that play earlier in the year because he would have already been committed to running.
- Michael Brewster said freshman Steve Miller kept asking him this week if he thought fans would rush the field if they beat Wisconsin.
- Brewster said he hasn't felt this good since the Sugar Bowl win. Meant everything to this team after what they've been through.
- Defenders said they studied film of Wisconsin game last year. Committed to filling all the gaps to stop run.
- Christian Bryant said Wisconsin ran two guys deep on his side of the field on their go-ahead TD.
- Howard stayed in the flat so Bryant had to pick one and Wilson found the other guy wide open. Called it a miscommunication.
- Howard said he was pacing up and down the sideline after that TD just praying the offense would make a play.
- Bryant said he was so close to that INT. Said the coaches just tell him to be aggressive and make plays.
- John Simon asked if he had enough time to shower before post-game interviews. They asked him if 10 minutes was enough. He said, "no, I'm going to enjoy this shower."
- Fickell said on the PI call that they told the DBs to get their hands on the WRs, not let them run free like the 2 previous drives.
- Bryant said this game wasn't about revenge, but they all remembered how it felt last year. How much it hurt.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.