Two-Minute Drill: Fickell Provides Thursday Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Fans aren’t the only ones who circled the Wisconsin game on their calendar after last season’s loss in Madison.
The Buckeyes have been waiting a whole year for this rematch. Ohio State Head Coach Luke Fickell met with the media Thursday to provide updates before the team’s final practice of the week.
The Ongoing Jaamal Berry Saga
- Fickell said they don't know if soph. RB Jaamal Berry will be available Saturday. They are still waiting to see what happens, but his status is very much uncertain for the Wisconsin game.
- Fickell said the legal process is going to take its time with Berry. Ohio State hasn't received anything from prosecutor.
- Berry has not been charged, but the 21-year old man who was struck in the face outside North Market around 2:20 a.m. last Friday is suing him.
- Fickell said Kenny Guiton didn't become the No. 2 QB by default. He's done a great job and is always fighting to get better, even on special teams.
- Fickell mentioned emotions with Guiton. Said football is a game of emotion, need a guy who brings that aspect to the huddle.
- Fickell did say that both Guiton and senior Joe Bauserman will have a role...they would be comfortable if they had to put either of them in the game Saturday.
- Fickell said Boom Herron is a tremendous competitor and they feel very comfortable with him leading them into battle.
- Fickell said there was a plan to use more of Jordan Hall and Carlos Hyde against Illinois, but they couldn’t ignore the emotional lift it gave the offense when Herron was in the game.
- Fickell said John Simon is a guy who actually gets better between the first play and the 70th. They try to roll the rest of the defensive line around him.
- Fickell said they have asked Johnathan Hankins to play a little bit of that outside end position Cameron Heyward played during his career at Ohio State
- Fickell said this isn't a revenge game for him or the Buckeyes, but he told his players to remember the feeling they had after losing to Wisconsin last year.
- Fickell said football is a game of 'single plays.' It's all about how you react. Most important play is the next play.
- Fickell said every game is special at Ohio State, but night games are special. Players love them. Maybe not coaches.
- Fickell did not have a comment on the rule that allowed Russell Wilson to transfer from N.C. State to Wisconsin without having to sit out a year.
- Wisconsin will hold its walkthrough at Ohio Stadium around noon on Saturday. “It’s never really happened to us. We've never had one come our way.”
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.