Two-Minute Drill: Fickell’s Tuesday Press Luncheon
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — After a week off, Luke Fickell met with the media Tuesday for his weekly press luncheon.
Ohio State’s Head Coach answered questions about the upcoming night game against Wisconsin, the alternate jerseys and the status of running back Jaamal Berry, all while dodging questions about the future of his job in Columbus.
- Fickell joked again about stretching out Braxton Miller's hand to make it bigger.
- Fickell said soph. Kenny Guiton is taking more of the No. 2 snaps than senior Joe Bauserman.
Jaamal Berry Situation
- For those who don’t know, Berry has been named a suspect in an alleged assault that occurred on campus at 2:20 am Friday.
- Fickell said the situation with Berry is ongoing and they are looking into it. His status for this week is uncertain.
- Fickell on Berry: "We represent something much bigger than ourselves and we take that very seriously."
- Fickell impressed by Russell Wilson's ability to blend in with his new team.
- Fickell said the key to stopping Wilson is changing up some things and getting some hits on him. Something he hasn't had all year.
- John Simon downplayed the fact Wisconsin was the only team to beat them last year. Called them a better team this year.
- Michael Brewster, Andrew Sweat and John Simon have been named game captains again this week.
- Eddie George will be honored during halftime for his impending induction into the College Football Hall of Fame.
- Fickell said Eddie George is one of the best stories he's ever been around at Ohio State. Said after Eddie's tough start, he was THE hardest working guy on the team.
Night Games & Alternate Jerseys
- Fickell said if it was up to him they would play every game at noon because he doesn't like sitting around all day.
- Fickell said the players may actually remember the night games the most because it's exciting and more like high school.
- Fickell said he was against the Pro Combat uniforms at the start. He doesn't like change, but he's seen how much the players love it. Said he likes them now.
- Simon said they enjoy wearing the alternate uniforms once a year, especially for a big night game.
- Fickell said CB Dominic Clarke is back in the fold this week after his 1-game suspension.
- Fickell said freshman LB Curtis Grant is coming into his own.
- Fickell said make no mistake, the game is won up front, but that doesn't mean you don't need great LB play.
- Fickell said he imagines they will use more of three LB sets this week than they have the rest of the year, but Tyler Moeller will still be a part of what they do.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.