Two-Minute Drill: Gator Bowl Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State is going bowling again this year.
Despite their 6-6 record during the regular season, the Buckeyes were selected to play the University of Florida in the 2012 Gator Bowl, which will take place in Jacksonville, Fla. on Jan. 2.
It isn’t on the same level as the BCS bowl games they have been accustomed to over the last decade, but it does keep alive Ohio State’s 12-year streak of going to the postseason. The last time they stayed home was 1999, the second-to-last season under John Cooper.
That team was also 6-6 during the regular season with three-straight losses to close out the season, but interim head coach Luke Fickell said it was important for this team to play in a bowl game after everything they have been through.
Ohio State Notes
• Urban Meyer will likely not attend the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville on Jan. 2.
• Fickell said freshman LB Ryan Shazier should return to practice in a week or so and he expects him to be ready to play in the Gator Bowl on Jan. 2.
• Florida coach Will Muschamp said that his strength coordinator, Mickey Marotti has left the Gators to join Urban Meyer in Columbus.
• Fickell said he was not aware of anyone on the team who would have preferred Ohio State turn down a bowl invitation at 6-6.
• Fickell said playing in a bowl was especially important because of the extra practices for younger players.
The Gator Bowl
• The Buckeyes will depart on Dec. 27 and return Jan. 2, immediately following the game against Florida.
• Ohio State will practice at the University of North Florida leading up to the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville on Jan. 2.
• Ohio State is the visiting team for Gator Bowl and will wear white jerseys. Florida in blue. Home/visitor designations flip-flop each year.
• The average high temperature in the first week of January in Jacksonville is 65 degrees, according to representatives from the bowl.
• The 2011 TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl was played on a lovely 84-degree day.
• The Buckeyes are 19-22 all-time in bowl games, including a 2-6 record in bowl games in the state of Florida.
• Ohio State has nine players on its current roster from the state of Florida, which does not include Jaamal Berry, who is suspended indefinitely.
• It does include: Brewster (Orlando/Edgewater H.S.), Bauserman (Tallahassee Lincoln H.S.), Sabino, (North Miami Beach/Dr. Krop), Johnson (St. Petersburg/Boca Ciega), Howard (Miami/Dr. Krop), Hyde (Naples/Naples), Shazier and Cash (both from Plantation/Plantation), and Heuerman (Naples/Barron Collier).
• EverBank Field is the home to the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars.
• Jacksonville will host Indianapolis at EverBank Field on Sunday, Jan. 1.
• Last year the facility was judged the third most fan-friendly stadium in the NFL.
• Every seat is a chair-back seat.
• The playing surface at EverBank Field in Jacksonville is TifSport Bermuda grass (used on golf courses) over-seeded with Rye grass.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.