Two-Minute Drill: Hokamania Takes Chicago by Storm
By Brandon Castel
CHICAGO — Brady Hoke has come a long way in just one year.
The second-year Michigan coach was completely off the radar a year ago at his first Big Ten Media Kickoff Luncheon in Chicago, but the Wolverines took center stage Thursday.
Hoke’s team is being pegged to win the Legends division, and possibly even the national championship, but he wasn’t ready to start talking title before fall camp.
Here is a two-minute rundown of what Hoke had to say, along with updates from Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald and Minnesota’s Jerry Kill.
Hoke Settings Sights on B1G Title
* Goal to win B1G championship
* Doesn't pay attention to people saying Michigan is "back". Also doesn't think much of being picked first. Said they were picked fifth in their division last year.
*Sees schedule as both great opportunity and great challenge.
* Michigan won’t actively recruit Penn State players. Hoke admitted they looked at PSU roster but decided they were “going to recruit the guys and keep our business our business.”
*No decision on suspended players as to whether they will play vs. Alabama, but he’s excited about the opportunity to play the defending national champions.
Fitzgerald Ready for ‘Next Step’ at Northwestern
* Pointed out this is the all-time winningest senior class in school history. Also pointed out they had an unprecedented year in 2011 academically.
* Northwestern is the only B1G team to play three BCS non-conference foes this year, and he feels they are poised to play for the Big Ten Championship.
* No way were they going to go after PSU players. He likes his own team.
* Likes the new uniform, but “some people have accused me of being the youngest old school person in the country. I'm okay with that.”
* He is a fan of eight conference teams, and believes most coaches agree.
* He is extremely confident in Kain Colter as a quarterback,” but knows they need to affect the quarterback more on defense this year.
* Felt they should have gone undefeated down the stretch last season, but have identified why that didn't happen.
* On rivalry with Illinois: Not really focused on it because it takes attention away from his program. They will focus on themselves.
* Four goals for the team: 1) Consistently prepare. 2) Win division. 3) Win Big Ten. 4) Win Bowl game.
Kill Doesn’t Have Time to Recruit PSU Players
* Tragedy this year (death of Gary Tinsley) has brought them closer together. Looking forward to seeing what we can do on Saturday this year.
* On the OL: put on 15-20 pounds per guy from last year. More confident about their strength level and where they're at. They look to be much improved from last year and have added depth.
* Kill on MarQueis Gray: “We're certainly going to use his abilities.” Said he has done a great job in the spring. They need to get people around him. They've worked hard in recruiting to do that.
* Gray has improved so much after last year. Kill looking for him to have a better year this year.
* Said he doesn’t have enough time to go and recruit PSU players.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.