Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Talks Buckeyes in Chicago
By Brandon Castel
CHICAGO — Urban Meyer made his first-ever appearance at the Big Ten Media Kickoff Luncheon in downtown Chicago Thursday.
Photo by Dan Harker
Ohio State’s first year head coach was asked about the SEC—which he called the King Pin of college football right now— along with the situation at Penn State and much, much more.
Here is a two-minute rundown of what Meyer had to say, along with notes from Ohio State’s three seniors—Zach Boren, John Simon and Etienne Sabino—in Chicago.
On 2012 Buckeyes
* Meyer thinks the Buckeyes have a chance to be "pretty good" this year, but he isn't ready to define success for them in 2012.
* Meyer said the two biggest concerns he has right now are offensive skill and then simply passing and catching.
* Meyer said he isn't treating Michigan game as a bowl game, said, "It's 'the game,' it doesn't need any gimmicks."
* Meyer said if he has to come up with some motivational tools for the Michigan game, it means they're not very good.
* Boren said the reason they went 6-7 last year is because they couldn't finish. Just didn't have what it takes to close.
* Boren said the only game OSU really "lost" last year was Miami. The other games were winnable, but they couldn't close.
* Meyer called Zach Boren "the best fullback in America." Said he will do a lot more than block this year.
* Meyer said it wasn't all Braxton Miller's fault he didn't have a good year passing. Buckeyes were just plain bad in passing game.
Off Field Issues
* Meyer said he and Bielema have made amends, and “there's absolutely no problem whatsoever with the way OSU does business.”
* Meyer also said Jake Stoneburner and Jack Mewhort have been allowed back in the locker room after they completed their community service.
* Mewhort and Stoneburner will be allowed back for the start of fall camp.
* Meyer said he remembers being 18-20 years old and making mistakes, so he always worries what guys are doing on their own time.
* Meyer did say he hasn't ruled out Storm Klein returning to team, but doesn't foresee that happening.
* Meyer said Klein has a good reputation, gets good grades and is a likable kid, but he was very aware of core values at OSU.
On Penn State Situation
* Brady Hoke and Urban Meyer were two of the Big Ten coaches who said they will not recruit Penn State players.
* Meyer seemed disgusted by the whole idea of coaches being in State College to recruit them. Tim Beckman was his defensive coordinator at Bowling Green.
* Meyer said he would only consider a PSU player if that player called Ohio State on his own and asked about transferring.
* Meyer said he thinks Penn State will survive sanctions because USC has proven it can be done. Not comparing the two, though.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.