Two-Minute Drill: Buckeyes Wrap Up B1G Media Day 2
By Brandon Castel
CHICAGO — Ohio State coach Urban Meyer and his three seniors wrapped up their appearance at the 2012 Big Ten Media Luncheon Friday with a morning Q & A session.
Here is a rundown of what Meyer had to say, along with seniors John Simon, Zach Boren and Etienne Sabino.
Photo by Jim Davidson
* Meyer said Braxton Miller is the “most dyn amic player” he has ever coached, then added, “at quarterback.” Said his acceleration is “off the charts.”
* Meyer said one thing TBD for Braxton Miller is leadership, "If we throw the ball decent and catch it, that means he led them all summer."
* Meyer said he plans to run a "really, really hard" fall camp this year. "It’s going to be a hard, physical camp. I think they expect it."
* Part of that is to prepare them for the season, but the other part is to get their focus in the right place. "I can promise you after day four, they aren’t going to be worried about undefeated. They’re going to be worried about getting through day five."
Photo by Dan Harker
* Boren still thought OSU had the best off-season in college football history, despite the arrests. He had never seen guys work as hard as they did this summer. Not just a couple guys. It was everyone on the team.
* Boren said Stoneburner and Mewhort were devastated by letting the team down. Hated being away from the guys more than anything. It let everyone know you can't screw up, at all, and get away with it.
* Stoneburner and Mewhort had to start off by lifting with the freshmen. Had to earn privileges back.
* Boren dropped 20-25 pounds from last year after Meyer met with him and told him they want to get him the ball. Said he can tell a difference even when he's just walking up stairs.
* Boren used to work out with Simon, but this summer he took Carlos Hyde, Braxton Miller and Rod Smith with him.
* Boren called John Simon a "whack job." Said he only does 3 things: class, weightroom and video games. Occasionally loses in poker.
* Simon was working out mainly with Steve Miller, Big Hank, Ryan Shazier and Curtis Grant this summer. Said Miller had the best offseason of anyone on the team.
* With Hoke referring to OSU only as “Ohio,” Meyer doesn't want his players saying the word Michigan. Only “that school up north.” Those who do it in front of him have to drop down and do pushups.
* Hoke said he and his staff have not given it any thought to the fact The Game will be Ohio State's final game (and pseudo bowl game) this year.
* Simon doesn't think it's possible to hate Michigan more than he already did, even after a loss.
* Boren said he "hates" Michigan, but also respects them. Said he always will. Simon agreed, so did Denard Robinson on the other side.
* Boren said he grew up rooting for Michigan, but it wasn't hard to make the switch because so much passion on both sides.
* Boren said his dad, Mike Boren, is "all Ohio State now." Said he only wears OSU gear, even though he is close friends with Hoke.
* Meyer said having two QBs that he likes will allow OSU to be more aggressive on offense. Said QB has to stay healthy and can’t have a bad day. Entire offense revolves around him.
* Boren will have a special role on the offense this year, but he wants to be called something more manly than Wildcat...suggested Wild Tiger.
* Boren was devastated when he heard about injury to Jordan Hall, but he thinks Carlos Hyde is ready for breakout year. Said Hyde has really worked on his strength and his conditioning. Wanted to be ready for a major role on the offense.
* Boren said they may not be able to do "as many crazy things" on offense while Hall is out.
* Hyde admitted to being out of shape last year and it hurt his ability to be on the field. He's dropped weight this offseason.
* LB Etienne Sabino said he expects DE Nathan Williams to be back on the field this fall.
* Sabino said Williams' "work ethic to get back on the field" has been "through the roof."
* Simon feels like Leo is his natural position now, so Williams might have to slide over to strongside DE.
* Meyer said he really likes his defensive line but doesn’t love them yet. Loves Simon. Said he can "play in the SEC right now."
* Simon said the entire team is proud of what Johnathan Hankins did this offseason. Really turned himself into a man.
* Sabino mentioned LB David Perkins as a young guy who has caught his eye. Raved about Perkins' speed and athleticism.
* Simon thought this freshman group of LBs and d-linemen is the best he's seen since he's been at OSU. Said he took Noah Spence with him to 6 a.m. workout on Sunday.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.