Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Updates Bye Week During B1G Teleconference
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer did not have his weekly Monday press conference during the team’s bye week. He was busy recruiting up in Cleveland, but he did appear on the Big Ten Football Teleconference on Tuesday.
Meyer said this is a chance for a couple injured players to get healthy, but he's concerned about his team losing momentum after it played maybe the best all-around game of the year against Illinois.
The Buckeyes will be in full pads today, but they will go with just shoulder pads and helmets the next two days. Meyer will work them out on Friday before they leave for home, or whatever else they plan to do with their weekend off.
* Meyer said it's better than 50/50 LB Etienne Sabino will be back for Wisconsin game. "We need him back even if it’s not a full time role."
Need for Speed
* Meyer said he will definitely watch some other teams play this week. He’s a big college football fan in general.
* Meyer said he watched a little of Alabama-LSU and Oregon-USC this past weekend, thought about how his Buckeyes would match up.
* Meyer said common denominator of those top teams is speed. Said that's an area the Buckeyes must improve.
* Meyer said Rod Smith's fumble was not an issue of ball-security or laziness. They don't condone fumbles, but that one won't set him back.
* Meyer wouldn't call Rod Smith dynamic just yet, but said "he's a big athlete who can run through tackles." Also praised his pass-blocking abilities.
* Meyer mentions freshman RB Bri'onte Dunn in same conversation with Carlos Hyde and Rod Smith. Seems like he gained some confidence Saturday.
* Meyer said OT Reid Fragel didn't have a good spring, or even fall camp, but he's playing at a really high level. Could have a future in the NFL.
* Meyer on Fragel: "The minute he doesn't work, he's average as the day is long."
* Meyer said LB Ryan Shazier didn't play his best game against Illinois. Lot of production points, but still out of position at times. Said there is so much more to Shazier’s ceiling.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.