Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Provides Bye Week Updates After Practice
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State coach Urban Meyer has gotten to sleep a little bit extra this week, when he isn’t on the road recruiting that is.
The Buckeyes have their first and only bye week of the season, but Meyer had his team on the practice field against Wednesday. He met with the media afterwards, along with quarterback Braxton Miller and a handful of other players.
* Meyer said LB Etienne Sabino is practicing with the first team defense. Said Sabino has had two good days of practice but he still has a bit of a gimp.
* LB Ryan Shazier said it's great to have Sabino back this week because he has a lot of experience and gets great leverage.
* OT Jack Mewhort said there is something comforting about looking across the field and seeing No. 6 (Sabino) on the other side.
* Meyer said DB Orhian Johnson hasn't practiced this week and LB Storm Klein is still battling a disc problem in his back.
* Meyer said DL Michael Bennett is banged up again and hasn’t practiced a whole lot. Said it’s been a tough year for him.
Handling the Bye Week
* Braxton Miller said he felt his body needed the week off. Bruises heal and his legs feel a lot fresher.
* Braxton said he is going home this weekend to see his family. Won't go to a high school game because Wayne is no longer in the playoffs.
* Mewhort said he can tell it's a bye week because he's not as sore and not as stressed. Said his back doesn't feel tight, his body feels good and he's able to work on some fundamental things instead of gameplan.
* Asked Mewhort if he could lose his edge during bye week. He said no way, because Coach Warinner is preparing them like it's the Super Bowl.
* Shazier joking that he wishes they had a game this week so he can try for three straight defensive player of the week awards.
* Meyer said he will fly to Atlanta on Saturday to watch his daughter Nicki’s volleyball game at senior day for Georgia Tech.
* Mike Vrabel came running in after practice because he had to catch a plane to go back out recruiting.
* Meyer said tomorrow's practice will be just himself and the co-coordinators on both sides of the ball. Other assistants will be off recruiting.
* Braxton said he has the Wisconsin film and game plan loaded on his iPad, so he's looking at it all the time.
* Mewhort said he studies other left tackles, like Jake Long and Joe Thomas, to pick up techniques or tricks.
* Luke Fickell doing some extra coaching with Curtis Grant after practice.
* Meyer said Zach Boren will stay at LB even with Sabino back. Ideally liked to play both together with Shazier.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.