Two-Minute Drill: No Bye Week for Urban’s Power Hour
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Make sure you are sitting down, you’ve got your cup of coffee and the boss is in a meeting before you start to sift through all the information from Urban Meyer’s call-in show this week.
It might be a bye-week for the Buckeyes, but Meyer apparently doesn’t slow things down during his off week. He turned in yet another jam-packed ‘Power Hour’ on Thursday, which was highlighted by a caller who asked how Ohio State’s head coach would feel about an 11-1 season if the one loss were to that school up north.
“Don't go there now,” Meyer said, “that's not a good year.”
Here’s a complete rundown of what else Meyer had to say during his hour-long radio show on Thursday.
* Meyer said LB Etienne Sabino is limping a little today and he's sore after 2 straight days of practice. They'll back him off today.
* Meyer said RB Bri'onte Dunn hurt his knee in practice, so he's questionable for the Wisconsin game.
* Meyer said RB Jordan Hall is bouncing around a little bit, but they plan to redshirt him and bring him back next year.
* Meyer said Jake Stoneburner injured his knee before the Illinois game and hasn't practiced this week.
* Meyer said Corey Linsley has a sore foot right now, but should be fine for next week. Have other guys taking snaps at center.
Latest on Braxton
* Meyer said Braxton Miller had an excellent practice yesterday. His footwork was much better.
* Meyer was a little shaken by Miller’s performance at PSU, but realized he was coming off the nasty scare against Purdue.
* Meyer: "You have a sophomore quarterback who really didn't lead at all last year."
Bye Week Preparations
* Meyer said it's nice to wear the scarlet and gray into high schools when you're 10-0. "Ohio State is kind of hot right now."
* Meyer said he will be out recruiting on Friday, and will mostly be going to see 2014 kids. "We're that far ahead already
* Meyer said they will play a game today, 60-65 plays, in shoulder pads. All scout work on Wisconsin.
* Meyer said without a right-hand man like Mickey Marotti, it's hard to do this job.
* Nicki Meyer's last home game at Georgia Tech is actually next week. Urban made a call before the season so he could be there for senior day. "That would have been embarrassing for me not to show up... at Wisconsin."
* Meyer didn't know his team set a school record with four games over 50pts this year. "That's pretty good, let's break that next year."
* Meyer said the offense should be better than it is right now. Still better play-action team than drop-back passing. Said offense is nowhere near the balance they need. "Someday you're going to look up there and see 250 run, 250 pass."
* Meyer said there was a time where Ohio State could roll the ball out there and beat most teams on the schedule. "We're not there right now."
* Meyer really impressed with Oregon. "It's tough to get 700 yards of offense in a 2-hour practice."
* Meyer said digital revolution makes it a lot easier to self-scout. Can see his own tendencies with certain formations, personnel groups.
* Tom Herman wants to do more no-huddle, but Urban still not completely comfortable with it. "I put the breaks on sometimes." Could tell the tempo of their "jet" offense wore down the Penn State defense in State College.
* Sounds like one reason they haven't run as much uptempo this season is the defense wasn't very good early on. When the OSU defense plays well, Meyer feels better about turning up the tempo on offense.
* Meyer said it's the offensive line, led by center Corey Linsley, which gives them a chance to win every game.
* Meyer said Illinois had its first-team defense on the field at the end against OSU's second-team offense. Good experience for the young guys.
* Meyer credits the defensive staff with the continuous teaching of fundamentals and tackling during the week. Also leveraging the ball.
* Meyer said Ryan Shazier was an "out of control" player early in the year. Has really developed the last 3 weeks. Said Shazier was acting like a safety, but Fickell has really spent a lot of time developing him as a LB.
* Meyer said CB Travis Howard is having "a fantastic year." Said he didn't play very well last year.
* Meyer said Chase Farris and Taylor Decker are making a big push right now. Same with Adolphus Washington and Tommy Schutt.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.