Two-Minute Drill: Post Practice Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS — The Buckeyes are done with two-a-days, but that doesn’t mean camp is really over. It’s just different now that classes are starting at Ohio State for Fall Semester.
Urban Meyer had his team back on the practice field Tuesday morning, and we were able to catch a glimpse of the Buckeyes in full pads for the first time this fall. It really was only a glimpse, as we didn’t get to see any live hitting, but there were plenty of updates from post-practice interviews.
* DE John Simon had a small air splint on his ankle. Said he wanted to practice today but the coaches held him out.
* Simon said he sneaked out there at the end of practice, but Fickell said it was good to get some other guys reps with the ones.
* Asked Simon if they're asking him to fake injury to keep him out of practice. He laughed, stroked his beard and said, "they wouldn't do that."
* RB Jordan Hall said he gets his boot off tomorrow and can resume running as soon as he feels comfortable.
* OC Tom Herman said he expects Carlos Hyde and Jordan Hall to be on the field together "a lot" once Hall is fully healthy.
* Simon said Nathan Williams has practiced a few times this fall. Can tell how badly he wants to be out there. Mentally ready.
Offense Catching Up?
* Jordan Hall said Saturday's scrimmage was the first time he's seen the OSU offense drive down the field again and again like that vs. the D.
* Hall said ability to beat the OSU D in practice started in summer. Marotti made it a heated competition. Said the offense was "tired of losing to those guys" on defense. Played with fire on Saturday.
* Hall said he couldn't believe how much Braxton Miller had improved his accuracy this fall.
* Johnathan Hankins said this is the first time in his OSU career where the offense has challenged them like this. Forcing them to adjust.
* Zach Boren said Saturday's scrimmage was the first time he has seen OSU's defense get tired against the offense.
* Fickell said it's a good challenge facing this offense every day, but challenging sometimes for young LBs when they see I-formation on film.
* Fickell said Meyer is always asking him what they need on D and how he can help them get better every day at practice.
A Few Rookies Making Noise
* Freshman LB Joe Burger became the 8th rookie to get his black stripe removed Tuesday.
* Fickell said that it shows everyone they don't care what your star rating was or what you did before you got to OSU.
* Fickell mentioned LB Josh Perry as another rookie who could step in and help them on D this year. Also Camren Williams and David Perkins.
* Hankins expects Noah Spence and Adolphus Washington to be in the D-line rotation this fall. Fickell agreed.
* Hankins said Adolphus is a tremendous pass-rusher. Has really improved his technique. Tough to block him.
* Safety C.J. Barnett mentioned Spence and Devan Bogard as two rookies who will play this year. Bogard will get a chance to play the "Star" position in the nickel. Sounds like Bryant will stay at safety.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.