Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Demands Excellence
COLUMBUS — Urban Meyer was ready to go for Tuesday morning’s practice, as he gathered the Ohio State football team around him under darkening skies in Columbus, Ohio.
With droplets of rain falling from the clouds above, Meyer spoke to his team about the theme of Tuesday’s practice. It was the same theme Meyer has had for his program, really since he took the job back in November.
Meyer told his players it is the coaches’ job to fill their toolbox with knowledge so they will know what to do in all situations, but it’s their job to go play hard and give relentless effort on every play.
“Your toolbox is almost full,” Meyer told his team as they approach their first game under a new regime.
He also told them "mentally soft" players will not play at Ohio State under Urban Meyer.
“I want 21 periods of competitive excellence,” he said, referring to the number of periods practice is broken into.
“If you can't do that, you're not a good player.”
He then clapped his hands, blew his whistle and called for a live punt drill, saying “the punt has to be perfect.”
Minor Injuries Shake Up Lineup
* DE John Simon did NOT practice Tuesday, but I'm being told it is only a minor injury and they expect him back soon.
* LB Ryan Shazier and DE Michael Bennett were both limited in practice today with a green jersey over theirs. Same with OT Kyle Dodson.
* RB Jordan Hall and DE Nathan Williams continued to work on the side. Hall did catch some punts, but still has a boot on his foot. Williams was in full pads and had a brace on his right knee, but we’re told the doctors are still taking every precaution with him.
* WR Philly Brown looked a little gimpy today and didn't participate much in drills. Had his right ankle re-taped at one point, but eventually went back out there.
* Freshman LB Joshua Perry was also sidelined today, along with WR Frank Epitropoulos and DB Jamie Wood.
* We were told none of the minor injuries (Simon, Shazier, Bennett, etc.) are serious enough these guys will miss any potential playing time.
Buckeyes Working on Nickel
* The Buckeyes worked on some of their nickel defense packages during warmups Tuesday.
* Corey Brown was the first-team "Star" (nickel back) and Devan Bogard was with the twos. Brown replaced LB Curtis Grant when they showed nickel.
* Ryan Shazier and Etienne Sabino both stayed out there with the Nickel D.
* They opted to keep Christian Bryant at deep safety and put Brown at Star rather than bringing Orhian Johnson in and moving Bryant down to Star.
* Johnson was at safety with the twos, along with Ron Tanner.
* When they did nickel with the second group, it was Devan Bogard at "Star" with Curtis Grant and Conner Crowell as the two LB's.
* It looked like WR Verlon Reed was full-go out there today, although we didn't get to see any live hitting.
* FB Zach Boren was drilling with the tailbacks today and not the fullbacks. Adam Homan was with the TE’s.
* Freshmen Pat Elflein and Jacoby Boren were both out there. Boren is the #2 center again. Elflein is battling for #3.
* Freshman Cardale Jones was the only QB not wearing a protective black jersey during practice.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.