Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Talks Braxton, More During Power Hour
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Miss a minute, miss a lot during Urban Meyer’s weekly call-in show on 97.1 The Fan in Columbus, and all across the great state of Ohio.
As he does every Thursday from 12-1 p.m. ET, Meyer took calls, answered questions and talked Buckeyes during his ‘Power Hour,’ which was once again loaded with a hefty dose of information about his undefeated football team.
Here’s a complete rundown of what Meyer had to say on Thursday as the Buckeyes prepare for Illinois Saturday and then a bye week before their final two-game stretch against Wisconsin and Michigan.
* Meyer said they are hoping to get CB Armani Reeves back this week. Hoping to get LB Etienne Sabino back after the bye week, which means he won’t play against Illinois.
* LB Storm Klein has a herniated disc in his back, so he can't take contact during the week. "Without Zach Boren, I'm not sure what's going on."
* Meyer said RB Warren Ball had a nice training camp and would have had a impact if not for the foot injury.
* Freshman DB De'van Bogard had his knee surgery last night. He's out for the year.
Latest on Braxton
* Meyer said Braxton Miller had some bad missed throws early in the game, but "if you could draft any player in college football, I've got my guy."
* Meyer said QB Counter Trey is working really well right now. "We could run it every play, but how many carries do you want Braxton to have?"
* Meyer said Braxton took a step back fundamentally in the game against PSU. A lot of focus on footwork this week.
* Meyer said OSU not very good at throwing the ball right now. Starting to get frustrated with lack of passing game. Opposing defenses aren't even respecting it. Had to get inside and working on passing this week.
Reflecting on PSU
* Meyer on PSU game: "Great night for two programs who have a bunch of young people who had nothing to do with nothing."
* Meyer said his biggest concern on punt team is missed assignment. Never experienced anything like this.
* Meyer said the kick return is good right now, but they need a guy who's a threat to take it 99 yards. That's not Rod.
* Meyer said he is treating Illinois as a one-game season. As hard as they've ever gone, much harder than usual for week 10.
* Meyer said his sheet from John Cooper was loaded with NFL talent this week. Three potential first-rounders on D for Illinois.
* Meyer said staff wants to get Guiton in a game, but it's tough with Braxton. Said Kenny will win another game for this team.
* Meyer said OT Jack Mewhort is playing as well as any offensive lineman in the Big Ten.
* Meyer continues to rave about OL Chase Farris. Said they were ready to ship him back to where he's from, but he's had a great 3 weeks.
* Meyer said they need to get WR Devin Smith move involved in the offense, which means he needs to play better.
* Meyer said OSU WRs were making strides early in the season, but their progress has really slowed down recently.
* Meyer said CB Bradley Roby playing close to an all-Big Ten level, but they need him to bring it every day.
* Meyer said they consider DE Noah Spence as a starter. Best of the freshmen. Allowed them to move Nathan Williams to Sam LB.
* Meyer said Michael Bennett still not back to what he was in the spring. Expect more from him.
* Meyer said he is heading up to Cleveland on Monday for some recruiting during the bye week. Will see coach Ted Ginn and others.
* Meyer said Ohio high school football is time-tested and true. Called it the best high school football in America.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.