Two-Minute Drill: Inside Ohio State’s Postgame
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes didn’t play a perfect game Saturday against Illinois, but Urban Meyer’s team did put together its most complete Big Ten win in two seasons.
Meyer was enthused by his team’s ability to run the ball against the Fighting Illini and said the guys who played did well enough to get some time off during the bye week.
Here’s a look what else Meyer had to say in Ohio State’s postgame, along with comments from some OSU players and coaches.
* Offensive line coach Ed Warinner said Reid Fragel was just momentarily stunned and could have come back into the game and that he is fine going forward.
* TE Nick Vannett was dinged up in the game but said he will be OK.
* LB Ryan Shazier said he can tell LB Etienne Sabino is ready to come back after the bye week. Perfect timing against Wisconsin.
* Shazier is excited to see a base defense with himself, Boren and Sabino against Wisconsin.
Latest on Braxton
* Braxton Miller said he felt more comfortable throwing the ball this week. Felt like his footwork was better.
* Braxton was wearing a Cassius Clay sweatshirt after the game. When asked about it, he said "he was one of the greatest."
* Braxton said Corey Brown keeps saying he wants to steal his moves. After the TD, he came off and said "that was B.Miller right there."
* Tim Beckman: "Braxton Miller is a fantastic football player. He can break you. When you think you've got him caught up on a pass rush he can run the football. He does a fabulous job. Braxton Miller is a fine, fine football player."
* Urban Meyer said his offensive and defensive lines took over the game after the first quarter.
* Carlos Hyde and Corey Brown both credited the offensive line for today's win. Said they are completely different guys than in the spring.
* Hyde said Urban Meyer challenged the OSU offensive line during the week to control this game.
* Brown said the offensive line is playing angry, which works perfectly with Carlos Hyde's style of running.
* Meyer said negatives were the way they started, kick coverage and silly penalties on D. Also said the area they are not efficient right now is the drop back passing plays.
* DB C.J. Barnett said this was the team's first complete game in all three phases of the game.
* Meyer said today's performance was a top 5 team, but the still are not top 5 in certain areas.
* Shazier said it would feel good to be a top 5 team, but they want to be THE top team and make the NCAA regret banning them.
* Meyer said it’s almost overwhelming to think where the O-line was in spring compared to now.
* Meyer said to expect more of the set with Hyde and Rod Smith together. Gives them a lot of options.
* Hyde said their two-RB set with him and Rod Smith is dangerous because both guys are playmakers.
* Hyde said he just runs hard and runs angry every time he touches the football. Feels like he can't be brought down.
* Hyde also gave credit to Urban Meyer and Stan Drayton for believing in him and talking to him like a man.
* Meyer said Bri'onte Dunn was carrying the ball too loosely but he was running hard.
* Corey Brown said he was tired of getting stopped at the goal line. Really wanted to score on that play.
* Corey gave Jake Stoneburner a lot of credit for the big block that got him into the open field.
* Ryan Shazier had 14 tackles (11 solo) and Zach Boren had 8 stops. Top two tackles for OSU defense.
* Shazier said he feels like he's playing a lot better the last three weeks. Really worked on leverage in practice.
* Shazier said Zach Boren has solidified things on defense. Shazier's the Lightning and Boren is the Thunder.
* Shazier said Boren is a true leader on defense. He's still learning, but he was born to lead.
* Shazier said he weighs around 225 right now, but it's been really hard to keep the weight on during the season.
* Strength coach Mickey Marotti works with him, told him the more weight he adds the better he will play.
* Meyer said Adolphus Washington has wiped the baby look off his face.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.