Two-Minute Drill: Inside Ohio State’s Postgame
By Brandon Castel
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The Buckeyes are 7-0 to start the season following their 52-49 victory over Indiana on Saturday night at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington, but there are plenty of issues facing Urban Meyer’s football team.
It starts with a defense that allowed 49 points and nearly 500 yards of offense, and Meyer was at a loss for what exactly went wrong on that side of the ball after the game.
Here’s a look at what Meyer and some of his players had to say in the postgame after their second win on the road.
* First time I've watched Urban Meyer's body language after a game at OSU where he made it look like they had lost.
* Urban Meyer sitting and talking alone with Mickey Marotti while eating some chicken after the game.
* Linsley said the players could tell he was down after the game. He came in and immediately said the defense has to play better.
* Braxton Miller said he took a shot to his hip on that late hit and landed on, but he feels OK.
* DE Nathan Williams missed the game with a concussion.
* CB Najee Murray is out for the year with a torn ACL and Armani Reeves missed the game with an ankle injury.
Issues on Defense
* The Buckeyes allowed 481 yards of offense in this game, including 352 through the air.
* Meyer said he plans to ramp up his involvement in the OSU defense after today.
* Meyer on what's ailing the OSU defense right now: "I have to get more involved in the defense and find out.
* Bradley Roby said the defense was embarrassed about their performance in the fourth quarter.
* Asked Roby what the issues are on defense when things go bad. He seems to think it's just little things.
* Roby said this defense needs to wake up and realize it can't take plays or drives off.
* Roby said the defense looks up and see how many points the offense has on the board and they start to relax.
* Roby said he still thinks this is a top-10 team right now, and Linsley agreed. Linsley said it will be weird not to see OSU in BCS standings.
* Roby said the standard for this defense is top 10 every year, and they are obviously not living up to it right now.
* Roby said looking back, the blocked punt by Travis Howard may have won the game.
The Boren Experiment
* Meyer said the decision to play Boren came Tuesday. Sabino was out and also Shazier, Josh Perry and Camren Williams.
* Meyer said he went with his gut to try Boren on defense Tuesday and it completely spiked the energy of practice.
* Meyer said he thinks Boren will stay on defense for a while. They need a veteran presence over there at LB.
* Linsley said Boren's move to defense was the ultimate team move. Gave up his change to be All-Big Ten on offense.
* Boren led the OSU defense with 8 tackles tonight, but Linsley said he was still disappointed in his performance. Hard on himself.
* Boren told me this team's biggest issue last year was finishing. Said it again tonight.
* Boren said they have a lot of playmakers on defense so Meyer asked him to slide over and play defense. He’s OK with it as long as it helps the team win.
* Boren said it’s been a long 72 hours. Said he was staying at the WHAC until 9 pm every night with Fickell trying to learn the defense.
* Boren said he felt like he left some plays out there. Wasn't overly thrilled with his performance.
Offense Steps Up
* Linsley said nobody on the team is pointing fingers, but it felt good for the offense to carry the team these past two weeks.
* Roby said he doesn’t need to say anything to Devin Smith about the two drops. That's the life of a WR, but it's all about focus, just like defense.
* Stoneburner said they weren't necessarily targeting him more this week, but the slants and curls were there against Indiana's D.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.