Two-Minute Drill: Bring Your Man Card
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer’s brain was a little more “French fried” during this week’s call-in show as he prepares his team for Indiana, and the chance at a 7-0 start in his first season at Ohio State.
That doesn’t mean Meyer didn’t deliver the goods during his Power Hour on Thursday afternoon in Columbus, where you better bring your man card. Here’s a look back at what Meyer had to say just two days before the Buckeyes face the Hoosiers in Bloomington.
* Meyer said the good news for this game is DB CJ Barnett is back. Orhian Johnson will likely play star in nickel D.
* Meyer said John Simon was as key to the win over Nebraska as anyone. Feels even healthier this week. He and Simon have an understanding now. Simon understands Meyer needs to know if he's hurt.
* Meyer said "it got real serious around here" when Simon addressed team after Cal game. Couldn't lift his arm. Probably shouldn't have played. He has seen his players get real serious about doing more since Simon addressed the team after the Cal game.
Getting Ready for Indiana
* Meyer reiterates that he's happy it's a night game, even though they will get home late. Wants his players to be excited.
* Meyer on his favorite road venue: "I hate them all. I have a lot of respect for them, but LSU is the one you better bring your man card."
* Meyer said Indiana's strength on D is inside. Not a wild defense, but they like to blitz the cornerback, which has given them problems.
* Meyer is concerned about the fact Indiana throws a lot of bubble screens and that's where this D struggled early in the year. Said tackling is the most fundamental thing in football. Said they've improved a lot, but have a long way to go.
* Meyer said up to this point, the only guy who could provide a play for OSU was Braxton. Starting to see more from other guys, including Devin Smith, Philly Brown, Carlos Hyde and Rod Smith.
* Meyer said Devin Smith played a great game against MSU, but not against Nebraska. They wanted to take some shots, but he wasn't open.
* Meyer said Rod Smith is a great story. "We didn’t just say lets hand the ball to Rod and see how this works out. He earned the right."
* Meyer calls Kenny Guiton "the old righty coming out of the bullpen." Going to try to get him out there in the first half.
* Meyer on splitting QB wide in wildcat: "Braxton's a weapon. If you don't cover him, you should cover him. That's on the defense."
* Meyer said his D gave up yards and points against a talented Nebraska offense, but got stops when they needed it.
* Meyer said LB Joshua Perry has the speed and size, the key is just getting him ready to play at the speed this game's going to be played.
* Meyer said they are looking everywhere for guys who can fill in their depth at weaker positions, especially linebacker.
* Meyer said the biggest issue with freshman LB Luke Roberts right now is his game speed. Said they're going to work on that.
* Meyer said Bradley Roby's pick-6 was not an accident. Read the WR's route. He does it over and over in practice.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.