Two-Minute Drill: Notes from Meyer’s Monday Luncheon
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State coach Urban Meyer wasn’t feeling too great about his team’s performance coming off the win over UAB on Saturday. So he made a little film cut-up of some of their best drives offensively, and realized he actually felt a little better about this team heading into Big Ten play than he expected.
Here’s a rundown of what Meyer had to say Monday during his weekly press luncheon in Columbus.
* Meyer said they are not thinking redshirt for Michael Bennett right now. Indications are that he will play this week.
* Meyer called DBs Bradley Roby and C.J. Barnett PROBABLE for this week.
* Meyer called RB Carlos Hyde VERY PROBABLE. "He's pretty close to being cleared.”
* Meyer is in the process of putting in some plays with Carlos Hyde and Jordan Hall in the same backfield.
* RB Rod Smith is still in the game plan, even with Carlos Hyde expected back this week.
Champion’s Club Performances
* CB Doran Grant graded out 91% and had 29 production points in his first start.
* Other champions on defense were Hankins and Christian Bryant, who was Ohio State’s Defensive Player of the Game against UAB.
* Meyer said RT Reid Fragel graded out a champion and played the best game of his career.
* Other guys on offense who graded Champion Club were Braxton, Philly Brown, Evan Spencer, Stoneburner and Jordan Hall, the Offensive Player of the Game.
* Long snapper Bryce Haynes was the Special Teams Player of the Game and safety Ron Tanner was Scout Team Player of the Week.
Looking at Michigan State
* Meyer: "I've seen some good defenses in my career and this is one of the best. Bunch of NFL players on their D-line."
* Meyer said Michigan State will focus on taking away the run and force the Buckeyes to pass the ball in East Lansing.
* Meyer said they will have to get creative with Miller, Hyde and Hall against Michigan State's run defense.
* Meyer said Nick Saban and Dantonio similar on defense, though Saban more complicated in pass D.
* Meyer said CB Johnny Adams (Ohio native) is a "very good corner." Said another challenge for Devin Smith and the WRs.
* Meyer compared MSU RB Le'Veon Bell to a more athletic Ron Dayne.
* Meyer said he watched cut-ups of last year's MSU game...said Braxton has come a long way.
* Meyer said Braxton still needs to a better job keeping his feet when he's facing pressure. Tends to panic and loses footwork.
* Meyer said Devin Smith didn't play well against UAB, but he is their downfield threat.
* Meyer said the offensive line has been pretty good but nowhere near what their expectation level is for those guys.
* Meyer told Rod Smith in January he probably wasn't going to make it at OSU and he should consider moving on. They talked to his dad about the possibility of him leaving the program. Even pulled out transfer papers.
* Meyer said Rod Smith's family got involved and he's done a 180. Turned his grades around and something clicked the last two weeks.
* Meyer said if it turns into a 200 yards rushing game for Bell, they're going to lose the game. Said OSU D is “kind of built for this.”
* Meyer said OSU D not as built to stop plays out on the edge , quick screens.
* Meyer thought the tackling was much better against UAB, but aggressiveness of the back end is a concern.
* Meyer said the defensive scheme is not the problem right now, it's matching it to the personnel.
* Meyer said they need to stress their corners with more man coverage, but it can create situations where LBs are in man coverage.
* Meyer said they have three corners who can start for them right now. Two that have the best week of practice will start.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.