Ohio State 56, Miami 10: Postgame Notes
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS — Saturday was a momentous occasion for Urban Meyer and for Ohio State. There were plenty of firsts in Ohio Stadium, and a number of interesting moments.
Here are some of the most important notes from the 56-10 win on Saturday.
Ohio State Opener Notes
* Including first-year head coach Urban Meyer, the last 22 Ohio State coaches are 21-0-1 in their debuts. The last Ohio State coach to lose his debut was Jack Ryder, who suffered a 40-4 loss at Oberlin in 1892.
* With the win, Urban Meyer improved to 11-0 in season-openers and 35-4 in September.
* The last 23 Ohio State coaches are 22-0-1 in their home debuts. The last Buckeye coach to lose his home opener was Alexander Lilley in 1890.
* Ohio State has not lost a home opener in 34 years - Sept. 16, 1978 to be exact when No. 6 Ohio State suffered a 19-0 loss to No. 5 Penn State in Woody Hayes’ final season as head coach. Ohio State has an all-time opening game record of 107-12-4.
* All-time, the Buckeyes are 111-8-4 in home openers since 1890. The largest opening day crowd at Ohio Stadium was 105,092 in the 2009 opener vs. Navy.
* Ohio State has started 1-0 every year since 2000. The Buckeyes last lost an opener when they suffered a 23-12 defeat to Miami (Fla.) in the 1999 Kickoff Classic at Giants Stadium.
* Ohio State has won 58 consecutive regular-season non-conference home games against teams not ranked in the AP Top 25. The last loss: 34-17 to Florida State, Oct. 2, 1982.
* Ohio State is 58-7 at Ohio Stadium since the start of the 2002 season.
Ohio State Offense Notes
* The 46-point margin of victory marked the 35th time one of Meyer’s teams won by 30 or more points.
* The 56 points were the most for the Buckeyes since scoring 73 vs. Eastern Michigan in 2010. Most in an opener since 70-7 win against Rice in 1996.
* Ohio State ran 86 plays Saturday. They averaged only 62 plays per game last season and 69 per game in 2010.
* The 161 rushing yards marked a career high for Miller and the most by an Ohio State quarterback in a single game. The previous record was 146 by Cornelius Greene against Wisconsin in 1974.
* The game marked the fourth 100-yard rushing game of Miller’s career. It ties Miller with Greene for the Ohio State quarterback record (Terrelle Pryor held the record with 7 until OSU vacated the 200 season).
* Miller finished with 200-plus yards passing (207) and rushing (161) for the second time in his career (Michigan, ’11).
* The game was the fifth game with multiple touchdown passes of Braxton Miller’s career.
* In the second quarter, Ohio State totaled 297 yards to Miami’s 38 and for the game, Ohio State posted 538 while holding Miami to 312.
* RB Carlos Hyde recorded his seventh career rushing touchdown in the second quarter and eighth in the fourth quarter. It marked the third game of two rushing touchdowns in Hyde’s career.
* WR Corey Brown tallied his third career touchdown reception in the second quarter. He finished with career highs in receptions (seven) and receiving yards (87). He had 14 catches for 205 yards and a TD in 13 games last year.
* WR Evan Spencer’s 44-yard reception in the second quarter marked a career long and his 54 yards receiving marked a career high.
* FB Zach Boren and RB Bri’onte Dunn scored their first career rushing touchdowns in the fourth quarter.
* TE Nick Vannett tallied his first career reception in the fourth quarter.
Ohio State Defense Notes
* The Ohio State defense held Miami to negative-1 yard rushing. The last time Ohio State held a team to negative rushing yards was when the Buckeyes limited Youngstown State to negative-11 yards in 2008.
* Ohio State has held 69 opponents to 21 points or fewer since the start of the 2005 season, the most among FBS teams.
* LB Ryan Shazier led the Buckeyes with eight tackles.
* Freshman Noah Spence recorded his first career sack in the third quarter and Adolphus Washington recorded his first career sack in the fourth.
* CB Travis Howard tallied his first career multiple interception game. He now has six career interceptions. The last multiple interception game by a Buckeye was Chimdi Chekwa against Miami (Fla.) in 2010.
Miller Explodes in Meyer's Offense
Box Score and Game Stats
Meyer Soaks Up First Win in Ohio Stadium
Two Minute Drill: Inside Ohio State's Post Game
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.