Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Provides Tuesday Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS — Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer made his first appearance on the weekly Big Ten Football Teleconference Tuesday to talk about the Buckeyes’ season-opener against Miami (Ohio) this Saturday.
Here are some notes and updates from Meyer’s appearance.
Latest on Williams, Klein
* Meyer said Nathan Williams practiced in a limited capacity Monday. They will meet about it again today, but he wants to get him in Saturday.
* Williams passed the medical tests to play Saturday, but Meyer still not sure how much they will play him.
* Meyer said Storm Klein's role is TBD after missing all of camp. Will have to make up what he missed.
* Meyer said he reinstated Klein to the team based on the facts of the case and after talking to the families.
Getting Ready for Miami
* Meyer started out by saying he has a lot of respect for Miami. Said he sees an issue with the QB (Zac Dysert) and WR (Nick Harwell). “They are tremendous players.”
* Meyer thinks his pass rush will be up to the task, but he’s a little worried about the pass coverage on the outside against Harwell, Andy Cruse and Willie Culpepper.
* Meyer also feels his offensive line will play well, but wants to see how his outside skill players response.
* Meyer mentioned he is concerned with the different formations Miami will show offensively on Sat. "They can throw the ball a little bit."
* Meyer called today a "survival day" for practice. Referred to it as "Bloody Tuesday" on Monday,
* Meyer mentioned Devan Bogard, David Perkins, Noah Spence, Adolphus Washington and Taylor Decker as freshmen who will play Saturday, off the top of his head.
* He said Perkins has come on strong over the past two weeks, and also said he expects WR Michael Thomas to see extended playing time in the opener.
* Meyer said RB Warren Ball was making a nice push before the foot injury. Said the battle is still close between Bri’onte Dunn and Rod Smith for the No. 2 RB spot. Dunn has been more consistent.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.