Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Provides Wednesday Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS — Urban Meyer jogged off the outdoor fields at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center Wednesday and met up with reporters following one of the final practices before Ohio State opens the 2012 season.
Meyer talked about the day’s practice and said the players looked fresh and seemed to feel good about the work they had put in.
The lowlight was certainly the point where Meyer was asked about the “I'd rather shower at Penn State then cheer for the Wolverines” t-shirts going around. Meyer was caught off guard by the question, and so were the rest of us.
A very uncomfortable, and unnecessary moment.
Here are some highlights from today’s session.
More Freshmen Earning Stripes
* Four new freshmen had their black stripe removed today: LB David Perkins, OL Jacoby Boren, DB Najee Murray and walk-on DL Logan Beougher.
* Meyer didn’t say for certain, but he made it sound like players who still have their black stripe probably won't play Saturday.
* He laughed and said forget Buckeye leaves, could you imagine a big strip of electrical tape down their helmet?
* Meyer expects to have DE Nathan Williams available Saturday. He practiced yesterday and did team stuff today. Been cleared by doctors.
* We saw Williams running in from outdoor practice field & he looked happy and he looked good moving around. Meyer called him a "fast-twitch guy."
* Meyer said RB Jordan Hall is jogging around now, but he won't be available for the opener.
* LB Storm Klein was back at practice today. Saw him coming jogging off the outdoor fields with his teammates.
* Meyer said Bradley Roby will return kicks at some point, but right now they want Philly Brown doing it because he's more used to having the ball. Said Roby is probably the fastest player on the team, but Brown isn't far behind.
A New Look?
* Meyer seemed to indicate Ohio State uniforms will be slightly different this year. Possibly a darker shade of gray?
* He said Nike met with his leadership committee. He didn't care what they decided as long as they didn't change tradition.
* The one condition was that any changes had to be approved by Archie Griffin and other former Ohio State players.
* Meyer was asked about his wife, Shelley, being a big football fan. Said she knows the game and sometimes even sits in student section.
* He said she doesn't make suggestions to his face, but he knows she likes to see reverses. "In my years as a coach, she's seen a few."
* Meyer said he really likes the no-huddle Tom Herman has brought to the offense, but he still plans to huddle at times.
* Meyer said one aspect of football he enjoys is the quarterback looking into the eyes of his teammates while they're in the huddle.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.