Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Talks That School Up North
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — It’s here.
Michigan Week, or as Urban Meyer calls it, ‘That School Up North” Week.
Ohio State’s head coach met with the media on Monday during his weekly press luncheon to talk about his first matchup with the Wolverines as the head coach of the Buckeyes.
It’s a rivalry he knows well from his youth, and also from his days as a graduate assistant under former OSU head coach Earle Bruce.
* Meyer said Earle Bruce's passion and understanding of this game was "intense." Said he wanted to hire coaches who understood this rivalry.
* Meyer said Bruce gave him a fist yesterday. Almost hit him, he was so fired up for Michigan.
* Meyer said the Bo Schembechler-Woody Hayes era is what really turned OSU-Michigan into a unique rivalry.
*Meyer said they used to do all kinds of neat things to get guys pumped for rivalry games, but cell phone cameras and blogs ended that.
* Meyer on Michigan game: "No one had more success than Jim Tressel." Used some of his tactics during training camp.
* Meyer said they will do Senior Tackle on Thursday. He's done it everywhere else because he learned it here at OSU.
* Meyer got choked up talking about Senior Day. "This is it. That's tough. Those guys could have gone anywhere."
* Meyer on Denard: "He's one of the finest athletes in America, so you better know where he is at all times."
* Meyer on Denard and Devin Gardner: "I just know something's coming."
* Meyer said Greg Mattison was the first phone call he made before he accepted the head coaching job at Florida.
* Meyer shook his head about fact Brady Hoke is from Ohio. "That's something that I still don't get."
* DE John Simon was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week and WR Corey Brown picks up Special Teams Player of the Week.
* RB Carlos Hyde was Ohio State's offensive player of the week. Simon was defensive player of the week and Orhian Johnson was special teams.
* Defensive champions against Wisconsin were Shazier, Barnett, Zach Boren, Christian Bryant and Orhian Johnson.
* Meyer called it C.J. Barnett's "best game of the season." He had 11 tackles in the win over Wisconsin.
* Only offensive champions against Wisconsin were Hyde, Corey Brown and Evan Spencer.
* Brown, Spencer, Johnson, Ben Buchanan, Taylor Rice, Devin Smith and Armani Reeves all graded out as champions on special teams.
* Meyer said he and Tom Herman have to open up the offense against Michigan. Said they “tightened down” too much against Wisconsin.
* Meyer said after spring he had kind of decided Reid Fragel wasn't going to be their right tackle. Credited him for changing his mind.
* Meyer called it "arguably our best effort on defense" this year. Fueled by "the heart and soul of our program," John Simon.
* Meyer called Zach Boren one of the great stories in all of college football, and certainly in Ohio State history.
* Meyer said he wishes he had Orhian Johnson for another year because he's really coming on. "I'm not sure he knows how good he could be."
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.