Two-Minute Drill: Meyer’s Power Hour Delivers Yet Again
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — As usual, Urban Meyer delivered the goods during a jam-packed “Power Hour” on Thursday as he took part in his weekly call-in show on 97.1 The Fan in Columbus.
Meyer touched on just about everything from injuries, to inconsistency, to what it will take to beat Nebraska on Saturday and improve to 6-0 on the season. Here’s a rundown of what Meyer had to say on Thursday.
* Meyer said C.J. Barnett's injury is a high ankle sprain. "That's a bad word as a coach, because you don't know."
* Meyer said DE Nathan Williams is really starting to regain the form he had a year ago before the injury.
* Meyer said Michael Bennett is probably 80%, but they expect to get more out of him this week.
* Meyer said John Simon is healthier right now than he's been since spring. Had a dislocated rib, ankle injury, shoulder and groin.
* Meyer said Jordan Hall was still not 100% recovered from the foot injury when he hurt his knee. Not sure how much time he'll miss.
* Meyer said RB Carlos Hyde is closer to 100% this week against Nebraska.
* Meyer said Miller's only weakness as a runner is that he needs to learn to get north-south a little more and get down to avoid contact.
* Meyer on Guiton stepping in on that first drive for Braxton last week: "He's Joe Cool now."
* No one other than Braxton has a big play in the run game. Longest run outside of QB would be 19 yards by Corey Brown. Meyer said he's really looking for Brown to give them some explosiveness on offense.
* Meyer said Jake Stoneburner is very involved in the offense. Played 50 plays, but “doesn't run routes at the speed they want” yet. Said Stoneburner has played "just OK" this season, but he's had a great week of practice.
* Meyer said the MSU game was the most consistency he saw from the offensive line and running game. Said the O-line was "arguably the most maligned outfit on our team last year."
* Meyer said Reid Fragel was not an offensive linemen until two weeks ago. Usually takes years of training.
* Meyer said bubble screens are built into the run game. If they show a certain look, Miller throws it out to the bubble. OSU gained 70+ yards on bubble screens against MSU, but they need that guy to break one for 70 on one play.
* Meyer says most elite teams have a guy who can make people miss and take it to the house. OSU has one, but he plays QB. Braxton and Devin Smith are their only real ways of scoring right now. Need more or will be a lot of 17-16 games.
* Meyer said QB Cardale Jones has gained 40 pounds since getting to OSU. 240 now, probably a little too big, but he's fast.
* Meyer believes single-digit missed tackles and you win the game. Only had 6 or 8 against MSU, but 4 on one play.
* Meyer said Nathan Williams wasn't really playing LB, but they move him around a lot. Looks like a LB on 3rd down.
* The guy who has really impressed Meyer with his effort is Christian Bryant. "That guy goes hard."
* Meyer said, much like Braxton, if they make a mistake with Taylor Martinez "it's over."
* Meyer said the MSU game was their worst day on kickoff. Not good in coverage and Basil has to kick better.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.