Two-Minute Drill: Notes from Meyer’s Monday Luncheon
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer believes Saturday’s win over Michigan State could be a turning point for his young football team. The Buckeyes overcame a late deficit and ran the final four minutes off the clock without giving the Spartans another chance to win the game.
Here’s a rundown of what Meyer had to say on Monday during his weekly press luncheon in Columbus.
* Meyer expects C.J. Barnett to be back this week. Also said Michael Bennett made it through the MSU game OK.
* RB Jordan Hall suffered a partialyl torn PCL in the game against MSU. A week-to-week injury.
* Meyer said Hall did NOT practice yesterday and he's doubtful for this week against Nebraska.
* Meyer: "Rod Smith and Bri’onte, it's time to go. You can only watch for so long, right?"
* Meyer said there was no intent to deceive MSU with the tape they sent early in the week. Said issue was rectified immediately.
* Meyer said they turned in video of MSU player attempting to eye-gouge Hankins to Big Ten offense.
* Meyer called the victory over MSU "the best team effort of the year, by far."
* The entire OSU offensive line collectively named Offensive Player of the Week against MSU.
* Meyer: "When you have an offensive line grade out as the player of the game, you're probably going to win that game."
* LB Etienne Sabino was Ohio State's Defensive Player of the Week against MSU. Bradley Roby Special Teams Player.
* Meyer said Luke Fickell is calling this Sabino's best game in his five years at Ohio State.
* Meyer on Sabino: "It's hard for me to say he's not my favorite player on the team. I have conversations with him like I would a coach."
* Other players who graded champion performance against MSU: Zach Boren, Heuerman, Hankins, Simon, Shazier and Travis Howard.
* Hankins graded out 88%, which is really high for a defensive tackle. "He was very disruptive."
* WR Tyrone Williams was dismissed for violation of team rules. No chance of a return. Meyer was very disappointed.
* Meyer on WR Corey Brown: "I think he has 30 catches right now and he's earned that. He's our go-to-guy in certain situations."
* Meyer also said: "He's allowed to break a tackle some day. That's going to be my coaching today."
* Meyer: "Without Braxton Miller, I don't think we're 5-0. I know we're not."
* Meyer on Braxton: "Is he perfect? No, but neither are we. Man does he go hard when it's time to go win a game."
* Meyer: "When I saw the time on that clock, I thought we were going to have to punt the ball. Everyone knew we were going to run it."
* Meyer said Kenny Guiton is not as good as Braxton or he would be playing, but he's a very functional backup QB.
* Meyer said Nebraska plays a much different defense than they will face all year. 2-gap defensive tackles and difficult coverages.
* Meyer said he remembers the one awful play on D against MSU and they aren't going to strip at the ball anymore.
* Meyer said he's never been a big believer in stripping the ball. Believes you create turnovers by getting your helmet on the football.
* Meyer on MLB: "Storm is good but he didn't grade a champion, so he has to get better."
* Meyer said Zach Smith runs punt block team: "We finally got a freaking blocked punt. Hopefully we smell blood in the water."
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.