Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Provides Wednesday Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer couldn’t push his team quite as hard as he would have liked on Tuesday after a tough, hard-fought physical win over Michigan State.
The good news is that Ohio State opponent this week, Nebraska, is coming off an equally physical win over Wisconsin last week. We caught up with Meyer and a number of his players after practice Wednesday.
* Meyer said Braxton Miller was "really sore" on Sunday and still sore on Tuesday, but he was great on Wednesday. Said he's 100% ready to go.
* Meyer said Michael Bennett still not 100%, but he's ready to play.
* Meyer said C.J. Barnett is a maybe for Saturday. Still limping around on his ankle. Jordan Hall is OUT this week.
* Meyer said Nathan Williams is really starting to get his legs back. Went from practicing once a week to every practice. Mike Vrabel still holds Williams out of some drills, just for precaution, but his knee is really doing well.
Preparing for Nebraska
* Meyer said Tuesday's practice wasn't great coming off a very physical game, but Wednesday was really good and they needed that.
* Meyer said he heard the offense talking last week about paying back MSU for the way they were manhandled last year. Said this week he's heard guys both sides of the ball talking about owing Nebraska one for what happened in Lincoln.
* Meyer expects another really physical game this week. Said Nebraska is not a finesse team. Different scheme, but very physical.
* Meyer said Nebraska's defense wants to force you to run outside the tackles, where MSU's forced you to run inside.
* Ryan Shazier told me the most competitive guys on the team are Simon, Carlos Hyde, Marcus Hall and Christian Bryant.
* Meyer wrinkled his nose when asked about Nick Saban's comments on offenses running too many plays. He said he loves it and it's one of the great things about college football. So many different philosophies and styles on offense.
* Shazier told me Braxton is the toughest person he's ever faced to tackle in the open field...said he got him a few time, though.
* Meyer has no hesitation to throw deep now with a guy like Devin Smith. Would have looked at you like you had 7 heads if suggested in spring.
* Bradley Roby said Devin Smith has come a long way. Some guys just have that ability to make big plays when the lights go on.
* Meyer said it's because Devin takes the game seriously now. He's worked hard to perfect his craft.
* Devin said making big plays just fits his personality. It's what he's always been able to do and wanted to do.
* Roby said the OSU had no confidence throwing deep last year, but they sure do now. Said Braxton has really improved his deep ball.
* Braxton Miller said he didn't move when William Gholston was down because the refs told him to hold still.
* Roby said the OSU defense worked on Nebraska's diamond formation a lot during practice on Wednesday.
* Shazier said Cardale Jones is playing the role of Taylor Martinez in practice this week.
* Shazier said Cardale is "the best scout team QB in the country." Only slightly biased, I presume.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.