Two-Minute Drill: Warinner, Vrabel Talk Buckeyes
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer had plenty to say during his weekly press luncheon on Monday, but he wasn’t the only one to meet with the media following the team’s 17-16 win at Michigan State.
We also got a chance to hear from assistants Mike Vrabel and Ed Warinner, along with a handful of players. Here’s a quick rundown of what they had to say on Monday as the Buckeyes prepare for Nebraska on Saturday.
Warinner on Offense
* Warinner said he was walking up and down the sideline with a smile on the final drive. Believed the offense could put he game away.
* Warinner said staff felt they were short at tackle and they thought moving Reid Fragel would re-energize him and he was all in.
* Warinner said there were 4 starting offensive linemen here at the WHAC at 7am to watch film on their day off. Said the fifth guy had class.
* Warinner knows the staff at Nebraska really well. Both coordinators were on the staff with him at Kansas.
Players Talk Offense
* RB Carlos Hyde said he didn't feel 100% in the first half because he had been standing around too long on his knee. Said once he got going, it felt great. Said it feels good today, but he's still getting used to the brace.
* Hyde said he thinks he really earned Urban Meyer's trust on the final drive. Really wants to be a 17-25 carry a game back.
* Hyde said the competitiveness this staff instilled came up big in 4th quarter. Guys refused to let MSU get the ball back.
* WR Corey Brown said Braxton didn't do a lot yesterday at practice because he was sore, but that's pretty typical.
* Brown doesn't think he will be asked to carry the ball while Jordan Hall is out. Expects Hyde, Smith and Dunn to pick up the slack.
* Mewhort said "we owe them one" when talking about Nebraska. Said it helps because guys still have that bad taste about last year.
Vrabel on Defense
* Vrabel said he remembers an OSU team that came out ready to play hard and fast vs. Nebraska.
* Vrabel said some defensive players admitted they felt the game at Neb. was over when Braxton got hurt last year.
* Vrabel said Nathan Williams is "doing a hell of a job" and he's shaking the rust off week by week.
* Vrabel said Johnathan Hankins conditioning is good not great. Can handle 60 plays but not 75.
* Vrabel told Hankins if the MSU players were picking on him, he should tell them to come see his coach. Said it mainly tongue-in-cheek.
* Vrabel said Michael Bennett obviously rusty. Hasn’t played really since early in camp, but he gives them much-needed depth. Also need to continue to get the young guys involved.
* Vrabel said there is no room in the game for cheap shots, such as late chop blocks or eye-gouges after the whistle.
* Vrabel believes Nebraska drew on last year's Ohio State game in their comeback win over Wisconsin.
Players talk Defense
* Etienne Sabino on the second half of the Nebraska game last year: "It wasn't fun, I can tell you that."
* Sabino also told me Curtis Grant has stayed positive despite losing his starting spot. Sounds like he's still in their plans.
* Sabino did refer to Camren Williams as a student of the game. Said he studies like crazy and really wants to learn the defense.
* Sabino said he wouldn't be surprised to see Camren Williams get on the field at some point this year on D.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.