Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Talks Braxton, More During Power Hour
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The biggest question on everyone’s mind all week has been the status of Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller, but Urban Meyer spent more time talking about Kenny Guiton and Jordan Hall during his weekly call-in show.
Meyer delivered the goods, yet again, during his ‘Power Hour’ on Thursday afternoon, and he seems to think Braxton Miller will be just fine for their trip to State College on Saturday.
Here’s a complete rundown of Meyer’s hour-long call-in show, which is broadcast live on 97.1 The Fan in Columbus, and around the great state of Ohio.
Latest on Braxton
* Meyer said QB Braxton Miller looks good in practice this week. Throwing the ball well.
* Meyer said they ran Braxton extra after practice this week because he missed Sunday's conditioning.
Hall to Redshirt?
* Meyer said he wanted RB Jordan Hall to work on some kick return when he re-injured his knee. May be done for the year.
* Meyer said it may be a sign from above that this just isn't Hall's year. Said if all goes right, Hall will redshirt and be back next season.
* They didn't cause the knee injury by putting Hall out there too early, but he clearly wasn't 100% with the foot. Had lost a step.
* Meyer also added Hall would not have graduated this year, so a redshirt gives him a chance to get his degree.
* LB Storm Klein is playing through a bulging disc in his back, but they need him right now.
* Meyer said DB Christian Bryant didn't practice one time last week because of an injury the week before. Still a little banged up, but he’ll play.
* Second time this week Meyer has mentioned RB Carlos Hyde is a little banged up. Might be a new injury.
* Meyer said they can take 70 guys to State College, but they may have empty seats on the plan. Not sure he has 70 healthy guys.
* Meyer said he found out today one of their guys on punt/kickoff can't go. Didn't say who. Said it's 7th guy out on kickoff.
* Meyer said with no bye week yet, and not much depth, some guys are getting heavy legs. Backing off a little bit in practice.
Talking Penn State
* Meyer has been to Beaver Stadium as a broadcaster, but never on the sideline. Heard it's one of the best environments in CFB.
* Meyer said bring your defense, bring your toughness and take care of the ball. That's how to win on the road.
* Meyer said McGloin has done a good job distributing and keeping drives alive. Wears teams down.
* Meyer's last game at Florida was against PSU in the 2011 Outback Bowl. McGloin threw 5 picks.
* Meyer said No. 47 (Jordan Hill) is the issue right now. He occupies a lot of blockers up front on the defensive line.
* Meyer said PSU doesn't kick FGs anymore, they just go for it. And they run a rugby style punt, so not easy to block.
* Meyer said they've been preaching competitive excellence, but now players got to see it in action.
* Meyer asked good question about his Plan to Win and what role statistics play. Said it's everything in football, but can't measure momentum.
* Meyer said the fake punt against Nebraska was not a smart decision in the 'Plan to Win' but he was going after momentum.
* Meyer says Ohio State is 8-0 because they care about each other and have a refuse-to-lose mentality.
* Meyer said Kenny Guiton grabbed freshman QB Cardale Jones during a timeout and told him to make sure he's ready to go.
* Meyer said Jones was standing behind Guiton taking mental reps yesterday.
* After Guiton threw the pick, Christian Bryant went down and got in his face, said the D would get him the ball back to win the game.
* Meyer said TE is an area of strength right now. Stoneburner playing well also, but Heuerman has come a long way. Very good hands.
* Meyer mentioned Rod Smith and Chris Fields as two examples of guys who have to come on for this team. Said Fields will get more opportunities this week.
* Meyer said Purdue brought both safeties down into the box and the OSU WRs didn't play well. Took a step back last week.
* Meyer said the OSU defense played much better against Purdue, but he's still upset by the big plays.
* Meyer said biggest mission on defense right now is to eliminate the big play. Means leveraging the ball and tackling.
* Meyer immediately mentioned Noah Spence as the guy who's playing well, but said Michael Bennett has to play better. "We expect a lot more of him."
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.