Two-Minute Drill: Buckeyes Talk Summer Workouts
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — It has been over a month since the conclusion of spring practice at Ohio State, but guys are still hard at work inside the walls of the Woody Hayes Athletic Center.
Mickey Marotti and his staff were running conditioning drills at one of the indoor practice field while we got a chance to speak with a number of Buckeyes about summer conditioning, and a number of other issues.
Here is a rundown of what guys had to say Thursday.
* TE Jake Stoneburner said he ran a 4.49 laser time in the 40-yard dash this past week.
* A number of guys reportedly ran in the 4.3 range, including Bradley Roby, Devin Smith and Doran Grant.
* Those were 3 of the fastest guys in the 40, but Braxton Miller was also timed as one of the fastest players on the team.
* Corey Linsley ran a sub-5.0 40-yard dash. Hand-timed at 4.86, laser timed around 4.92.
* Jack Mewhort said Linsley can "lift a house" on the bench and squat. Supposedly over 500lbs on the bench.
* Big Hank didn't run the 40, but said John Simon ran a 4.6 at 265 pounds.
* RB Jordan Hall didn’t run the 40 because of his sprained foot, but said he probably would have run a 4.4.
* Stoneburner said he and Braxton Miller are out here working on routes and timing every day for 20 minutes. Usually with Kenny Guiton, Devin Smith and Mike Thomas. Different guys work separately.
* A number of players said there are more guys working out and training on their own at WHAC this year than they can ever remember.
* Jordan Hall said he was practicing on his sprained foot for a few days during spring before finally decided to have it checked.
* Hall isn't running yet, but he is running in the pool. Should be back to dry land running soon.
* Stoneburner said he was playing most flexed out as a WR this spring, but will see time at both spots in the fall.
* Stoneburner said he was mainly in WR meetings and drills during spring. They wanted a senior/veteran presence in the group.
* Linsley said Jim Bollman told him his best spot was always going to be center, but he had issues snapping the shotgun.
* Linsley said he has worked extremely hard on his shotgun snap and he is more proud of that than anything else he has done at OSU.
* Linsley said Ed Warinner asks him every day if he's working on his snapping, and he's always proud to say that has been.
* Mewhort said Reid Fragel and Taylor Decker are really battling at right tackle.
* Mewhort was surprised how quickly Decker picked things up. Knew the playbook on Day 1 after having it for 3 days.
* Johnathan Hankins said he is down to 320 pounds right now and feels great.
* Hankins also said he isn't considering leaving early unless he will be the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft. Wants to win a championship first.
* Hankins said John Simon isn't normal. He is at the weightroom every morning at 5:30 a.m.
* Michael Bennett said everyone will lift hard and go home. Simon will come back 2 hours later for another lift.
* Bennett said he wasn't upset about being listed as second team on the depth chart. Just makes him want to work harder.
* LB Curtis Grant said he contemplated quitting football during his first year at Ohio State. Was very frustrated. Couldn't understand why he was having so much trouble and why he wasn't playing.
* Grant said family and faith helped get back to a good place. He feels great now, physically and mentally. A whole different person than he was in December.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.