Two-Minute Drill: Inside Ohio State’s Postgame
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — It was one of the more remarkable finishes in recent memory, but the Buckeyes overcame an 8-point deficit and the loss of their star quarterback to beat Purdue Saturday.
Backup Kenny Guiton led the game-tying touchdown drive in the fourth quarter and Ohio State scored the only touchdown in overtime for a 29-22 victory over the Boilermakers.
Here’s an update on Miller’s status after leaving the game on a cart, along with a number of updates from Ohio State’s postgame.
* Braxton Miller was taken to the OSU Medical Center with concerns of a concussion, but passed all the tests. Had his shoulders, head and neck examined and he's symptom free. No other serious injuries.
* WR Corey Brown left the game with a head injury and had to be taken to the locker room.
* Freshman DB De'van Bogard was on crutches with a brace on his right knee after the game.
Celebrate Good Times
* Student section chanted Urban! Urban! Urban! Before Carmen Ohio. He gave them a fist pump then whole team started dancing after it was over.
* Meyer called the end of that game legendary, said it’s a moment he will never forget. Especially for Kenny Guiton.
* RB Carlos Hyde said he thinks a lot of guys had the ending of that Purdue game last year in their minds today. Pushed them at the end.
* Danny Hope said they tried to put more pressure on Guiton than they had on Miller, but there was a lot of "hooking and grabbing."
The Two-Point Play
* The 2-point play they ran is called Y-Hide, and TE Jeff Heuerman said the key was to sell his block then leak out.
* Herman said Heuerman almost took too long selling his block on the play, but he finally got out there.
* If you watch the replay of the Y-Hide play, Heuerman gets stuck behind Reid Fragel and almost doesn't get out of the pile.
* Meyer said he almost changed the 2pt conversion play because Hyde and the online were screaming for him to run the ball. Meyer gave credit to Herman for sticking with the play to Heuerman.
* Heuerman told me he had no doubt the 2-point conversion play would work. They've practiced it every week. Meyer told him earlier on the drive they were going to run that play, so be ready.
* Heuerman said it he doesn't want to think about the block in the back, but he was so happy to make up for it with the 2pt conversion
Low Key Kenny G
* Hyde told me the thing he'll always remember about this game is how calm Guiton was out there.
* Chris Fields said he has great chemistry with Guiton because they work together every day in practice.
* Every player I spoke to was not surprised in the slightest at what Guiton was able to do. Said they expect it from him.
* Boren said he knew Kenny G would come through. Never had a doubt, but he was saying his prayers on the sideline.
* Meyer said Guiton was down after he threw tech pick, but Meyer grabbed him and said you’re going to go win us the game.
* Meyer said Jake Stoneburner has played lights out the last 2 weeks after they had a “come to You know what” meeting.
* Fields said no doubt he had the catch on that TD, was just hoping the refs wouldn't screw him.
* Fields said he feels like he's been through a ton of adversity over the last two years, but he always saw a light at the end.
* Fields said the "Turf Monster" got him on the long catch where he didn't score. Said it's been a while since he was out there.
* Herman said one of the biggest plays in that last sequence was Fields' decision to pick up the punt and run it instead of letting it roll.
* Herman said Meyer will suddenly call out in practice that there are 30 seconds left in the game and they have to push it.
* Herman said they have a package of plays for that scenario, but it doesn't work out the way it did today very often.
* Fickell said the defense practiced that double wheel route that PU opened with about 30 times this week. Purdue tweaked it a bit, but they still should have defended it.
* Zach Boren said he felt a lot more comfortable on defense to rior to the 2pt conversion, Boren was in the offensive huddle giving them a fiery talk.
* Meyer said they didn’t practice Nathan Williams at OLB this week, but he had to play when Josh Perry went down. Gave up a TD.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.