Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Provides Wednesday Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer met with the media Wednesday after practice to talk about the health of his football team and the matchup with Purdue this Saturday.
Here’s a rundown of what was said by Meyer and some of his players after practice.
* Meyer said DE Nathan Williams is good to go this week after missing the Indiana game with a concussion.
* He said the same about freshman LB Joshua Perry and sophomore LB Ryan Shazier, who is still sore this week.
* LB Etienne Sabino and RB Jordan Hall are both OUT against Purdue this week.
Boren’s New Identity
* Meyer said Zach Boren will start at linebacker this week, and will stick to defense for now. He said Boren could play a little fullback again if and when they get Sabino back later this year.
* Meyer would like to get Boren some more carries and another touchdown as a reward for his selflessness.
* Boren said he’s been playing linebacker since he was 5 years old. Certain instincts his dad instilled in him just come naturally now.
* Boren said he was actually nervous during his first two series on defense. Didn’t want to miss anything or look foolish, but after that he felt good and settled down. Feels a lot better heading into this game against Purdue.
* Boren said he’s been wanting to play linebacker for a while. Always glued in to what the defense is doing when he comes off the field with the offense.
* TE Jeff Heuerman said Boren’s switch came as a surprise. All of a sudden he looked up and 44 was on defense.
* Heuerman said he came around the corner on a running play and had to block Boren. Said it was a strange experience.
* Braxton Miller was asked about the Heisman and it seemed like it was the first he had ever heard about his name being mentioned. He's not worried about it.
* Bradley Roby said if Braxton Miller played a complete game, they might score 100.
* Jake Stoneburner said WR Devin Smith is always harder on himself than anyone else every could be. Working even harder this week after those two drops against Indiana.
* RB Carlos Hyde said he's not really any more confident than he used to be because he's always been confident.
* Meyer said Noah Spence has shown them enough they trust him now to be a part of the defense.
* It means Nathan Williams could play some LB in the 3-4, which has Garrett Goebel at nose tackle with John Simon and Johnathan Hankins as the two 3-4 ends.
* Meyer said he thinks the defense really can be fixed in one week. Already seen an improvement in 4-6 seconds of effort and in maintaining leverage. Key will be tackling.
* Meyer said he doesn't see LB Curtis Grant sulking around. He understands he has a long way to go and the coaches are trying to do everything they can to get him there. Said Grant is out there grinding, trying to get better.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.