Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Provides Post-Practice Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes are just days away from their final non-conference game of the 2012 season. Head coach Urban Meyer said he would be worried about his team overlooking UAB with Michigan State on the horizon if the Buckeyes were a good team at the current moment.
Apparently, they’re not.
Here’s a closer look at what Meyer and some of his players had to say after practice.
* RB Carlos Hyde and DE Michael Bennett both still OUT this week. Meyer said Bennett is getting closer.
* DE John Simon (shoulder), DB C.J. Barnett (ankle) and CB Bradley Roby (shoulder) all limited in practice this week.
* Simon hasn't practiced much, but he'll be ready to go Saturday according to Meyer and his teammates.
* DE Nathan Williams said that he missed the UCF game because of a bone bruise when he took a helmet shot straight to the knee.
* Williams said he felt great last week and feels good this week. Was in pads today but doesn't do any live hitting in practice.
* Williams also said he thought he would only be able to play half the year. Now he's certain he will play the whole year.
* Williams said he felt OK after 63 plays Saturday. Said not to worry about his reps. Wouldn't have missed a game if not for the bone bruise.
* Meyer said they've done more live hitting in practice this week than ever before.
* Meyer said he had "an intense meeting" with each guy who committed a personal foul Saturday. Some of them got sand pit punishment.
* Meyer especially frustrated with Corey Linsley's. Said killed a drive and took away their momentum.
* WR Devin Smith said he's had a more intense focus this week after Meyer told him he was the best player in the WR group.
* When I told Meyer what Devin said about being the best WR, he responded with "and that's a compliment?"
* Meyer said he had a private talk with QB Braxton Miller at his locker after the Cal game. One thing that has to change is Braxton has to get them out of some bad calls. Has never really done that before in his career.
* Meyer said there were so many other things they had to work on, never really got a chance to work on Braxton changing the play.
* Meyer thought Tom Herman could do it all, but the D was switching right before the snap. Braxton only one who can make that call.
* Meyer said thing that sold him on Herman the most was his ability to understand and remember things.
* During the interview, Meyer gave him some plays and walked out of the room. Told Herman to learn it and teach it back to him.
* DT Johnathan Hankins said he disagreed with the Cal player who said the defense looked tired. Said he's used to playing the whole game now.
* Hankins did say he expects Noah Spence and Adolphus Washington to play more this week. Getting more reps in practice.
* Meyer said he wants to rotate 6-7 guys on the d-line, but injury to Bennett and Adam Bellamy departure have hurt that.
* Meyer said he expects Fickell/Vrabel to rotate more guys, but Spence and Washington aren't good against the run yet.
* Meyer also said he expects LB Josh Perry to play some on defense this week. Perry and Camren Williams had black stripe removed this week.
* Meyer said Jamal Marcus and David Perkins have been great on special teams, but don't know the defense well enough yet to play.
* Meyer said Etienne Sabino did not have a good game Saturday. Expects him to play better. Called him one of his favorite guys on the team.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.