Two-Minute Drill: Inside OSU’s Postgame
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State coach Urban Meyer wasn’t all negative following his team’s 31-16 win over UCF, but he certainly wasn’t all positive.
Meyer said the Buckeyes are not where he thought they would be right now – both as an explosive offense and a pressure defense – but they are 2-0 heading into the game against Cal next week.
Here’s a look at what was said inside Ohio State’s postgame Saturday.
* RB Carlos Hyde sprained his MCL in the win today. Might miss a game or two.
* QB Braxton Miller had ice on his elbow after the game. Said he was icing a bump from one of the hits he took.
* CB Travis Howard was battling stingers in the game today and had to come out in the second half. Replaced by Doran Grant
* Meyer said DE Nathan Williams was really sore all week and didn’t practice. They weren’t sure until Friday if he would be able to play.
* DT Johnathan Hankins and DB C.J. Barnett both suffered minor injuries Saturday, but nothing that will limit them.
Running Braxton Wild
* Meyer thought his offensive guys got "a little fatigued" with the pace today. Said Braxton Miller was "blown out" after 27 carries.
* Braxton said the most he ever carried the ball in HS was 16 times...not sure he was being truthful on that one. Had a few times over 20 his senior year.
* Braxton’s three rushing touchdowns were the most by an OSU QB since Art Schlichter in 1978.
* Ed Warinner doesn't feel like Braxton tries to take the game in his own hands. "He's not trying to make it the Braxton Miller show."
* Warinner said a lot of it is just the fact Braxton is so talented, he can make something out of nothing at any moment.
* UCF coach George O'Leary said Ohio State is a good football team. Always has been. Will "come around" when they get Braxton throwing the ball better.
* TE Jake Stoneburner said he's learned whenever Braxton scrambles, just go deep and he'll find you.
* Meyer was extremely miffed about the turnovers on offense and the 10 penalties. Said that's not the sign of a good team.
* Meyer went on to say he doesn't think they are a very good team right now. Said they were just "mushing around out there" on offense.
* Meyer said they will "go back to the drawing board" to figure out who should get the football next week.
* Meyer said someone will have to be the starting tailback next week and they have 3 options: Boren, Dunn or Rod Smith.
* Meyer said we might see Philly Brown get the ball on handoffs more next week. Proving to be a playmaker.
* Warinner said they felt like they were having success running the ball inside until Hyde got hurt.
* Warinner said it's actually good they won by 2 touchdowns but still have a lot to work on.
Why No Take Knee?
* We asked co-offensive coordinator Ed Warinner about decision not to take a knee at the end: "That's not really our style."
* Warinner said they really wanted to get Rod Smith a couple carries just to get the feel of the ball out there because they may need him.
* Warinner said Rod Smith knocked the ball out with his elbow when he was going to take the handoff.
Where’s the Pressure?
* Meyer said OSU's pass D has "a long way to go." Said they have to get more pressure, not acceptable.
* Meyer said the biggest negative on defense was he didn't see their QB getting hit. Said he will "have conversation" with his defensive coaches this week about the lack of pressure on the QB.
* O'Leary said they were double and triple teaming John Simon all day.
* Simon said the D-line was being asked to play the run a lot against UCF.
* Noah Spence said he isn't treated like a freshman anymore, especially when he makes mistakes. Spence said he loves going in with Adolphus, his roommate and one of closest friends on the team right now.
* Talked to Orhian Johnson about mix-up in secondary. He said field side corner got mixed up a few times on what the call was. Field corner is Bradley Roby. One of the long plays came between him and Barnett. Sounds like the other was a mix-up by OJ.
* Asked Everett Withers about the mix-up in the secondary and he seemed to think it could be fixed. Partly due to OJ being in a new position.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.