Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Provides Monday Updates
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS — Urban Meyer was pleased with the overall performance of his new football team in their first action of the 2012 season, but he knows it’s only going to get harder from here.
“Whole different animal coming in here this week,” Meyer said Monday during his weekly press luncheon at Ohio State.
The Buckeyes plan to use more no-huddle this week to wear out Central Florida’s defense, but assistant Tim Hinton also believes in the saying that you improve the most between game one and game two.
* Meyer said he doesn't think Jordan Hall is available this week. Might practice, but he doesn't know yet.
* Meyer said Michael Bennett was ready to play Saturday and re-injured his grown during warmups.
* Mike Vrabel said he has "no idea" if Michael Bennett will be able to go this week. Don't want to put anyone out there who can't protect himself.
* Meyer said he thinks Nathan Williams played 30 snaps, but they dropped him a lot. Weren't as comfortable dropping Noah Spence.
* Vrabel said they had a plan throughout camp with Nathan Williams, and it was good to get him back in there.
* Vrabel said Williams is sore today, but they'll see how he responds the next couple days.
* Meyer said there are no other injuries he can think of at this point stemming from Saturday's game.
* He did say Adam Bellamy will not be returning to Ohio State. Said he lost the love of the game and didn't want to play anymore.
Champions for a Day
* Meyer said Bradley Roby graded winning performance and was the Defensive Player of the game. Had 30 chances to make a play.
* Meyer said Christian Bryant played excellent and so did Travis Howard. Both were over 90% against Miami.
* Meyer said Andrew Norwell graded a winning performance with 5 knockdowns and 2 pancakes.
* Guys who graded as champions on O: Braxton, Guiton, Hyde, Philly, Devin Smith, Norwell and Mewhort.
* Meyer mentioned Jamal Marcus as a guy who played well on special teams against Miami. Also Bryant and Adam Griffin. Had high praise Griffin today. Said he's on just about every special teams, plays hard every play.
* Guys who graded out champions on D & ST: Roby, Howard, Christian Bryant, Adam Griffin, Jamal Marcus, Basil and Buchanan.
* Meyer said the black mark on the game for him was being 5-7 in the red zone, especially the last play of first half.
* Meyer said they will do some different things on the 1-yard line in the future, but the O-line missed a block on that play to end the half.
* Hinton said the goal line is as much mentality as it is scheme. Said you have to have physical mentality.
* Meyer said when Braxton slows down and has a good stroke, he's as a good a passer as he's seen.
* Meyer said Braxton still had some ball security issues on Saturday, but far less than last season. Also made some wrong reads, but he was overall very impressed with him.
* Meyer said Devin Smith kept walking past him waiting for him to say 'great catch,' but he wouldn't do it.
* Meyer: "We ask every week who can go make a touchdown? I didn't know Devin Smith could. Now I know."
* Hinton called Devin Smith's catch the spark they needed on offense. "It was an electrifying play, as good as you'll see."
* Meyer gave his WRs a B for the first game. "Good effort. Good solid B. He said playing WR in this offense is real. “It's a grown man's job.”
* Meyer said he talks to his offensive coaches about the next offensive series while his defense is out there. Meyer said he doesn't specifically call plays, but he tells Herman things like "take the shot" or run something counter.
* Meyer said it wasn't great defense Saturday, but it was very good defense for the last 3 quarters.
* Meyer said they dropped 8 a lot in coverage. Said he would grade Miami's game plan an 'A.'
* Getting the ball out and rolling Dysert out allowed them to take Hankins out of the game in the first half.
* Vrabel said it's not just about sacks. Thought Tommy Schutt had a great game Saturday.
* The defense was supposed to be in cover-3 on that breakdown in the 1st quarter, but miscommunication between Howard and Barnett.
* Bryant said the defense came off the field and said we're not going to have this again like last year. Said it's all about communication.
* Bryant said he likes playing free safety better than 'Star' because he feels like he can make more plays.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.