Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Focused on UCF
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Big Ten may have voted to make Ohio State eligible to win the Leaders division this year – along with the trophy that comes with it – but someone forgot to tell Urban Meyer.
He found out from the media Wednesday that his team would be eligible for a trophy – and a divisional championship – at the end of the year, but said it wouldn’t change anything about the Buckeyes’ preparations this week.
It might come in handy later in the year, according to Meyer, who jokingly asking if they also changed the fact Ohio State is ineligible to play in the Big Ten championship game.
Here is a full rundown of updates from Meyer and a handful of players after practice Wednesday.
* Meyer said Michael Bennett is doubtful for this week's game after re-tweaking his groin before the Miami game.
* We saw Bennett walking in from the outdoor practice area and he looked like he was moving pretty gingerly.
* Meyer said Jordan Hall is out and Nathan Williams will play, but he was pretty sore this week. May not get as many plays Saturday.
Bloody Tuesday Takes its Toll
* Meyer said his 'Bloody Tuesday' practice was awful. Spent a lot of focus on goal line and short yardage.
* Meyer said some players lost 8 or 9 pounds during practice, but Mick Marotti and their nutritionist made sure they got proper hydration.
* Meyer said he didn't face any pushback from the players for the intense, exhausting practice on Tuesday.
* Meyer said they are taking precautions with Braxton and a few other guys to hopefully prevent cramping. Better hydration.
Big Ten Caliber Outfit
* Meyer said he considers UCF to be a Big Ten caliber team and said they are better than OSU at some spots.
* Meyer said he talks to John Cooper, who works as an NFL scout, every week to find out which opposing players are NFL-caliber.
* Cooper told him UCF has 5 or 6 guys with NFL talent, including two DT's and their 4-year starter at safety.
* Meyer also put RB Latavius Murray on that list, but said UCF has two good backups if he can't play Saturday.
* Travis Howard said the coaches have been talking to them about UCF's All-American kick returner.
More Stripes Come Off
* Three more freshmen have had their black stripe removed: LB Jamal Marcus (C.J. Barnett), WR Ricquan Southward (Jake Stoneburner) and kicker Kevin Niehoff (Ben Buchanan).
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.