Two-Minute Drill: B1G Conference Call Notes
By Brandon Castel
Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany appeared on a media teleconference Monday, along with University of Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman, Indiana University President Michael McRobbie and BTN President Mark Silverman.
The call came on the heels of a the Big Ten Conference’s annual meeting of the Council of Presidents/Chancellors at the Big Ten office in Park Ridge, Ill. over the weekend.
Here is a two-minute rundown of what Delany and the other B1G officials had to say Monday.
B1G Waffles on Playoff Support
- Perlman said if B1G presidents voted today, they would vote for the status quo regarding playoffs.
- Perlman said they are also realistic, though, and realize BCS does not have strong support at the moment.
- Perlman says Big Ten's second preference is a plus-one system.
- Big Ten would consider 4-team playoff, but wants to keep the current bowl system intact.
- If there is going to be a playoff, Delany agrees it should be the four best teams. But unsure of how to decide the four best.
- Delany said the main issues are “honoring champions and honoring strength of schedule.”
- Delany wants to keep bowl system in place, particularly Big Ten-Rose Bowl connection, but he is OK with bidding out National Title game.
- Delany said B1G wants to make sure the postseason and a potential 4-team playoff doesn't diminish college football's regular season.
- Delany called college football's regular season "one of the most powerful" in all of sports.
Big Ten Network News
- The B1G will distribute a record $284 million to the 12 conference schools this year. (from TV, bowls, etc.).
- Big Ten Network is up to 50 million subscribers, more of them outside the Big Ten’s footprint than inside.
- BTN president Mark Silverman said ad revenue is up 20% for The Big Ten Network. They sold out football for the 2nd year in a row.
- Silverman said they plan to make BTN2Go available internationally starting this year.
- Silverman also said BTN will be doing "The Journey" for football.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2012 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.