Two-Minute Drill: Inside Ohio State’s Spring Game Locker Room
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State began Saturday’s Spring Game festivities with a Circle Drill that pitted one Buckeye against another.
At the end of the day, they were all on the same team.
Tom Herman’s Scarlet team defeated Luke Fickell’s Gray Team 20-14, though head coach Urban Meyer said he “handcuffed” Fickell with some of the limitations on the defense.
One of those limitations was keeping star senior John Simon on the sideline for almost all of the game. Here is a look at what Meyer and his players had to say in the locker room after the game.
Urban Back in the ‘Shoe
* Meyer said Kirk Barton had to show him where to go for Carmen Ohio, but it's something he absolutely plans to continue after every game.
* Meyer: "Thanks to the Best Band in the Land. To watch them do Hang on Sloopy was kind of a touching moment, having grown up watching that."
* Meyer: "I'm a big fan of tradition and this is a school where you don’t have to create a whole lot of tradition."
Holding Players Out
* Meyer said Jordan Hall had a sprained foot, which they didn't know about until yesterday.
* Meyer also said that Johnathan Hankins had his knee scoped and should be fine, but he wasn't out there today.
* Meyer said John Simon didn't play much today because "he doesn't need to." They know what he can do.
* Meyer said he first saw something special in Mike Thomas during the first scrimmage.
* Meyer said Thomas is the most dedicated WR right now. Always staying after practice to work on hands.
* Braxton Miller said he developed a relationship with Thomas when they played in the Under Armour All-Star game.
* Meyer said his top playmakers of spring (in order): 1. Hall, 2. Stoneburner, 3. Hyde, 4. Philly, 5a. Thomas, 5b. Devin Smith.
* Meyer’s depth chart at RB right now is: 1. Hall, 2. Hyde, 3. Rod Smith, 4. Brionte Dunn.
* Hall is the top candidate to play the hybrid position Percy Harvin made famous at Florida.
* DB Adam Griffin led all players with 9 tackles and a pick in the Spring Game. DB Orhian Johnson and LB Ryan Shazier each had 7.
* Meyer said he still doesn't know if his team can throw the ball after today's Spring Game.
* Meyer gave Braxton Miller an A for release, B for arm strength and "B or C" for accuracy today, but also admitted he’s a really hard grader.
* Miller said he thought the offense was about 30% of what OSU fans will see in the fall.
* Backup Kenny Guiton said the pace of the spring game was slow compared to what they do in practice.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.