Two Minute Drill: Quick Hitters from First Spring Practice
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State hit the practice field for the first time ever under Urban Meyer on Wednesday.
Here is a two-minute rundown of how the Buckeyes looked on day one of the spring.
OFF-SEASON PAYING OFF
* Reid Fragel looked like an NFL tackle. Meyer said he is 298 now with less than 10% body fat.
* Jonathan Hankins was looking svelte today. One reported joked they were going to make him a linebacker.
* Ryan Shazier looks sturdy. Very strong. Meyer said he's up a solid 227 and he hasn't lost a step.
* Guiton actually had the better day throwing the ball. Showed good arm strength. Braxton Miller too, but still inconsistent ball placement.
* Freshman Cardale Jones is a BIG guy for a QB. Reminds me of Pryor, size-wise. Strong arm, really guns it, but pretty lost on day one.
* Other interesting change was WR Philly Brown running with the twos at slot receiver. Chris Fields was with the ones.
* Devin Smith and Evan Spencer also ran with the ones. Smith had a pretty good day, but it was not a great day for Spencer, who struggled to hold on to the football.
* Meyer was not impressed with the skill position players on Day 1. Said he should be walking off saying "wow" about 2-3 guys, but wasn't.
* Tyrone (TY) Williams had a pretty good day. Went with the twos and caught most of the passes thrown his way.
* Meyer also seemed concerned with the depth on the offensive line, but came away impressed with freshmen Taylor Decker and Jacoby Boren.
* First team offensive line was LT Mewhort, LG Norwell, C Linsley, RG M.Hall and RT Fragel.
* Second team O-line was LT D.Baldwin, LG C.Carter, C Bobek, RG A.Underwood, RT T.Brown.
* Freshman Taylor Decker also got snaps at right tackle and Jacoby Boren took some snaps at center with the twos.
* First-team D-Line was Simon, Hankins, Goebel and Bellamy. Saw Michael Bennett and Joel Hale jump in there a few times.
* Second-team D-line was Bennett, Hale, Chase Farris and Steve Miller. Didn't see Se'Von Pittman get much action.
* Sophomore LB Curtis Grant was the first team MLB in practice today. Meyer said Grant "has to be a player" or they're going to have problems.
* Junior LB Storm Klein was limited during practice and Connor Crowell was the #2 MLB most of the day.
* First-team safeties on defense were CJ Barnett and Christian Bryant. Bryant to star in nickel and Orhian Johnson to safety.
* Both Jake Stoneburner and Ryan Shazier appear to be 100% from their knee injuries. Neither is limited this spring.
* Along with Klein, Verlon Reed and Jamie Wood both limited in practice this spring. Nathan Williams and Zach Domicone are OUT.
* One other guy who was limited today was J.T. Moore. Didn't practice during team drills.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.