Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Talks Practice, Spring Game
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes were finally outdoors for a Wednesday winner-loser practice in Columbus, but it wasn’t quite as thrilling as last week’s victory by the offense.
Here is a two-minute rundown of the third-to-last practice of the spring for Ohio State.
Wednesday Practice Notes
* Meyer wasn't too excited about today's practice. "It wasn't like last Wednesday." Called the players leg-weary.
* Meyer was enthused by energy and effort today at the end of practice. Execution just wasn't there.
* Former OSU Defensive Coordinator Jim Heacock was at practice today. As was OT Mike Adams.
* John Simon was unblockable again. He really disrupted 1st team offense during the 2-minute drill. Simon went right around RT Reid Fragel on 1st and 2nd down, which prompted them to replace Fragel with Taylor Decker.
* Meyer said Decker and Mike Thomas have stood out the most among early-enrollees.
* TE Jake Stoneburner is playing a lot of receiver and Meyer called Philly Brown his top WR right now.
* WR Tyrone Williams had a pretty good day of practice. Was catching the ball clean and had a few TDs.
* LB Ryan Shazier and QB Cardale Jones both missed Wednesday. Meyer said it was because they were sick.
* K Drew Basil sprained his ankle, which put walk-on freshman Kyle Clinton in position to determine the winner today. Fickell iced Clinton with 0.2 seconds on the clock, and his kick sliced to the ride, wide of the uprights. Defense won the scrimmage.
* Center Brian Bobek and WR Tyrone (TY) Williams were both back out there practicing Wednesday.
* LB Curtis Grant has a stinger and DB C.J. Barnett has a lower muscle injury. Grant participated in 7-on-7, but not the scrimmage.
* DB Christian Bryant and LB Storm Klein also missed practice Wednesday.
Spring Game Plans
* DC Luke Fickell and OC Tom Herman will head up the draft tomorrow morning. Losers will have a service project for 3 hours.
* QB Braxton Miller will NOT be live for the spring game. Same with QB Kenny Guiton.
* Meyer said they won't run the QB’s a lot. Said it will be very “vanilla” from a running game standpoint.
* He said it will be a very "throw heavy" game. He wants to see some guys make plays.
* Meyer on spring game: "The ball will be thrown a lot, I just don't know if it will be caught."
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.