Two-Minute Drill: Quick Hitters from Wednesday Practice
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Wednesday’s practice was the second one open to the media this spring and the first one in pads.
It was also a Winner/Loser day for Urban Meyer and his coaching staff. Here are some quick hitters from practice.
* WR Corey “Philly” Brown was working with the first-team. He was in the slot with Devin Smith and Evan Spencer outside.
* WR Chris Fields was in the slot with the second-team with Tyrone Williams and Michael Thomas on the outside.
* Sophomore Michael Bennett took the fourth spot on the first-team defensive line, replacing Adam Bellamy. He played strongside defensive end.
* Sophomore Steve Miller also saw some time with the first team as the backup to John Simon.
* Freshman Jacoby Boren looks to have passed Brian Bobek for the No. 2 center spot behind Corey Linsley, at least for now.
* Freshman Taylor Decker was the No. 2 right tackle Wednesday. Also saw time at left tackle and took one series at right tackle with the first-team offense.
* LB Curtis Grant continues to be the first-team MLB. Storm Klein worked with the second group Wednesday and had a brace on his left knee.
* Simon and Hankins were the most dominant players on the field Wednesday. OSU offensive line couldn’t block them.
* Curtis Grant and Ryan Shazier both had great days at the linebacker position. Grant seems to be playing at a high level, and Meyer said he isn’t thinking as much.
* Carlos Hyde and Rod Smith looked good running the ball, although Smith did have a fumble.
* Best pass-catchers Wednesday were Jake Stoneburner, Evan Spencer and Tyrone Williams. Tight end Nick Vannett also had a nice day.
* Braxton Miller was up and down with his throws. Better with short and intermediate passes, but threw a nice 45-yard touchdown pass to Philly Brown.
* DE Nathan Williams was still working on the side today. Meyer said he will start jogging in June and they “need him” back in the fall.
* DE SeVon Pittman was in a limited yellow jersey and had a brace on his knee during practice. He did not participate Wednesday.
* WR Verlon Reed was in a green jersey, which allowed him to do some things with the receiver, but he did not participate in the team scrimmage.
* CB Travis Howard had his “bell run” and looked disoriented. Had to walk off the practice field and was taken to the locker room.
* RB Jordan Hall also had his “bell rung” but he seemed to be okay. He didn’t participate in the scrimmage, but stayed out there and looked fine after practice.
* DT Johnathan Hankins was dinged up on the final play of the scrimmage. He was slow to get up, but walked off under his own power.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.