Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Introduces New Staff
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer and his new coaching staff, including strength coordinator Mickey Marotti, met with the media Thursday for the first time as united front.
Meyer went last, allowing his new assistant coaches a chance to talk with the local media about their coaching philosophies and what brought them to Ohio State.
Here is a rundown of today’s event, with plenty more to come on Meyer and his staff in the coming days.
Urban Meyer Talks Buckeyes
* Meyer said he feels as good as he as felt in "many, many years." Marotti agreed that he looks 100% better.
* Meyer said they will never make an example out of a kid, but he is very, very disappointed in Dominic Clarke, especially after what was discussed in team meeting.
* He said he's always been the special teams coach and he'll continue to do that.
* Meyer only watched bits and pieces of the Gator Bowl.
* Urban said he hasn't told players they can't use Twitter, but "what you can't do is talk about our team." He said players who talk about the team on social media will quickly disappear from social media.
* Meyer mentioned Braxton Miller, Jake Stoneburner, Zach Boren and John Simon as guys he has enjoyed spending time with.
* Meyer said he's not just “the closer” in recruiting. He likes to get to know the kids.
* Meyer said he wouldn't change current setup for college football's postseason. He loves the bowl system. Said teams wouldn't have anything left by the championship game of a playoff tournament.
Filling out the Staff
* Tom Herman will serve as offensive coordinator and QBs coach.
* Ed Warinner will be co-offensive coordinator and OL coach.
* Tim Hinton will coach tight ends and fullback. Hinton said he got a call from Urban at 10pm after he got back from bowl game. By 10:01 he had accepted position.
* Luke Fickell will be defensive coordinator and LBs coach
* Everett Withers will be co-defensive coordinator, assistant head coach and safeties coach
* Urban Meyer will serve as special teams coordinator.
* Meyer said he didn't have a "no" from a coach he approached for an assistant job, adding that he never reached out to Chad Morris at Clemson.
* Offensive coordinator Tom Herman will call the plays, but Meyer will have “veto” power.
* Herman called Braxton Miller a "great kid, great young man." They have talked about his leadership role at Ohio State.
* Herman said defenses have caught up to where the spread was 5-6 years ago, but that's caused the offense to adapt and change.
* Herman said OSU history as 3 yards and a cloud of dust is not daunting. "Times change, but we have to make sure it's Ohio State way."
* Both Herman and co-offensive coordinator Ed Warinner talked about importance of running game in spread offense. Warinner said it will not be a “finesse” running game.
* Hinton said one good thing about the spread is there is a thousand ways to utilize players like the FB and TE.
* Herman said he would like to have 4 scholarship QBs, but there is a transition period.
* Withers said he and Luke Fickell have a lot of similar ideas about defense. They will continue to run a 4-3 with ability to play 3-4 using “Leo” position.
* Withers said he spoke to Fickell before taking the job...said it was just a good fit, philosophically and personality.
* Withers said the top priorities for OSU D will be stopping the run, no big plays, get off field on 3rd down, strong in red zone.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.