Live Updates: Bear Bryant Awards
By Michael Chung
HOUSTON, Tex. — Ohio State coach Urban Meyer was scheduled to be in Texas today for the presentation of the Paul Bear Bryant Coach of the Year Award at the Hyatt Regency hotel in downtown.
Our own Michael Chung is in attendance for tonight’s award ceremony, but Meyer was unable to make the trip south because he has been battling an illness for the last few days. He is expected to be fully recovered by the weekend, but they did not want him making that flight.
Even without Meyer, Michael has been making the most of his time at the Bear Bryant even today, as he already had a chance to speak with a number of the coaches in contention, including Penn State’s Bill O’Brien, Stanford’s David Shaw and Kansas State’s Bill Snyder.
We will have video footage of those interviews on The Ozone later this evening, but Michael was able to talk about a number of issues surrounding college football, and Ohio State, with this prestigious group of coaches.
Here are some live updates of Michael’s conversations down in Houston today:
On Bill O’Brien…
* Penn State coach Bill O'Brien head coach of Penn State says everyone in the Big Ten is trying to catch up to Meyer.
* O'Brien thinks Mike Vrabel has an excellent knowledge of the game and imparts it to his players.
* O'Brien felt he could have done better than 8-4. Feels if he won award, it would mean a lot to him.
* O'Brien wants playoffs to be expanded. Coming from NFL, championships need to be won on field.
On David Shaw…
* Stanford coach David Shaw had high things to say about Urban Meyer. Got to know Meyer when he was at ESPN and came to do a story on Andrew Luck.
* Shaw and Urban Meyer went out to dinner with each other when Meyer was with ESPN. Shaw says Meyer imparted wisdom to him.
* Shaw said he texted Meyer after the season congratulating him on an undefeated year at Ohio State.
On LaVell Edwards…
* BYU coach LaVell Edwards is there for the Lifetime Achievement award. He said he got the BYU job because he was only Mormon who ran single wing and wanted to throw the football.
* Edwards says Woody Hayes's philosophy of running first would not fly today.
* The 82-year old Edwards told Michael he is good friends with former OSU head coach Earle Bruce and says he was quite the competitor.
* Edwards called Earle Bruce one of the most competitive little guys he has ever met. Also said he thinks Urban Meyer is a great coach.
On Bill Snyder…
* Bill Snyder of KSU says Bear Bryant was demanding but based it all on values.
* Snyder does not favor playoffs. Bowls have helped schools like KSU. Says KSU fans could not attend back to back bowl games.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.